The alumni of the University of Helsinki in the Brussels area have organized themselves as a local Club. You are warmly welcome to participate!
Syyskuussa 2017 perustettu Brysselissä toimiva EU Alumni Club on paikallisklubeista nuorin. Vuoden 2018 päätavoitteena on lisätä jäsenmäärää ja klubin tunnettuutta, mutta alku on lupaava: jo parin ensimmäisen kuukauden aikana klubiin on rekisteröitynyt yli viisikymmentä jäsentä. Toiminnan kehittyessä klubin on tarkoitus muun muassa rakentaa yliopistosta mielikuvaa vahvana kansainvälisenä toimijana ja tarjota alumnien asiantuntemusta sekä yliopiston että muiden alumnien käyttöön. Brysselin seudulla asuu paljon etenkin EU:ssa toimivia suomalaisia, joilla on paljon annettavaa paitsi yliopistolle myös toisilleen.
– Etenkin EU-tehtävissä verkostot ovat välttämätön osa työnkuvaa. Yliopistolaisten kanssa tapahtuvan verkostoitumisen hyöty ja lisäarvo on merkittävä, ja se riittäisi jo itsessään syyksi olla mukana toiminnassa, klubin puheenjohtaja Saara Harjula toteaa.
– Itse koen tärkeäksi olla mukana brändäämässä Helsingin yliopistoa Brysselissä ja houkuttelemassa niin parhaita opiskelijoita, tutkijoita kuin muitakin työntekijöitä yliopistoon. Alumnien hyödyntäminen yliopiston toiminnassa ja viestinnässä voi johtaa laajaankin näkyvyyteen Brysselissä.
LIFELONG LEARNING AND INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
Thursday 15.3.2018 at 18:00 Event on Lifelong Learning. Venue: Permanent Representation of Finland
Please register for the event with the link below.
Friday 16.3.2018 at 13.45-15.20 Information session at the European School (EEB2) for 5th to 7th graders on the opportunities to study at Helsinki University, the latest curricular changes and admission requirements. No registration needed.
If you would like to know more about the club or events don't hesitate to get in touch with the chairman of the EU Alumni Club board Saara Harjula, email@example.com
(more details about the events to follow)
The EU Alumni Club, based in Brussels, aims to bring together the alumni of the University of Helsinki who All alumni can join the club.
The mission of the EU Alumni Club is to create a lifelong and worldwide community of alumni through increased opportunities for meaningful engagement, in other words - Stay Connected, Continue Learning and Support Helsinki University
EU Alumni Club offers alumni meaningful opportunities in:
- Creating and strengthening connections and networks between present, former and future students and the University of Helsinki as well as building internal sense of community through various EU Alumni activities.
- Promoting and supporting Helsinki University’s research excellence and education; attracting the best students, researchers and employees to the university. Reinforcing the positive image of the University of Helsinki as an international actor.
- Developing lifelong learning in the University of Helsinki and using its possibilities for self-development and to update new professional skills. Providing one’s expertise to the University of Helsinki and the other alumni.
- Close communication and dialogue between the University of Helsinki and the Alumni communities on current affairs, especially regarding scientific studies, topical EU matters and news concerning the University of Helsinki.
How can You join?
You can easily join the EU Alumni Club either online or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget to follow us on social media and on our website to find out more about our upcoming events
Members of the Board of EU Alumni Club 2018-2019 are Saara Harjula, Virve Indren, Pekka Rislakki, Salla Saastamoinen, EmilyTullberg, Päivi Valkama, and Minna Wilkki.
For further information:
Follow the EU Alumni Club on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
The alumni of the University of Helsinki gathered on the 26th of September 2017 at Bibliotheque Solvay in Brussels to hold the First General meeting of the EU Alumni Club of the University of Helsinki Alumni Association.
Over 60 alumni and friends attended.
President of the University of Helsinki Jukka Kola welcomed the participants and presented the idea for the EU Alumni Club and explained the added value that the Club would have for all parties. The strategic aim for the University is internationalization and quality thinking. The alumni are well integrated in Brussels and the University of Helsinki needs local Ambassadors to enhance the knowledge about the University of Helsinki in Brussels.
The CEO of the University of Helsinki Alumni Association Pia Österman presented the ways that alumni can engage locally giving examples from Beijing and Stockholm. After the presentation a meeting was held at 17.30 where the participants formally decided on founding the EU Alumni Club, decided on the bylaws, and elected a Board of seven people for the Club to guarantee its future success.
After official pictures of the board had been taking the participants mingled talking about their affiliation to the University of Helsinki and shared memories and stories about their experience and career.
At 18.30 the Helsinki Challenge Team joined the event.
Mark Ferguson, Member of EU High level group on Maximising the Impact of EU Research and Innovation Programmes/ Director General, Science Foundation Ireland spoke about New ways of impact – innovation as the only way to sustainable growth. 7 teams pitched about their solutions to xx problems and all the team members stayed at the event and mingled with the EU Alumni Club members.
Local Alumni Clubs are groups established by former students under the auspices of the University of Helsinki Alumni Association. Such clubs enable their members to participate in alumni activities no matter where in the world they live.
What do local Alumni Clubs offer?
- The presence of the University of Helsinki in your community
- The opportunity to network with other University alumni
- Networking opportunities with researchers and people in business in your area
- Events where you can meet top researchers in several fields from the University of Helsinki, in for instance climate change research and medicine
Who can participate in the Clubs?
Anyone who has been admitted to pursue a degree, has conducted research or has held a position or post at the University of Helsinki can participate in the alumni activities coordinated by the Alumni Association.
Examples of events organised by local Clubs
- Science and Practice: Researchers and alumni participate in a panel discussion on a topical issue approached from scientific and practical perspectives
- University of Helsinki Evenings: Club-led visits to local sports and cultural events
- Wine and beer tastings
- Networking lunches