This page is meant for you if
- You were granted the right to pursue a Master's degree in English
- The right was granted in 2019
- You are liable to pay the tuition fee
- You have been awarded a scholarship covering your tuition fee from the University of Helsinki Scholarship Programme
Every student pursuing a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree at the University of Helsinki must register as an attending or non-attending student for each academic year.
You will be registered for your first academic year after you have accepted the study place.
Registering as an attending student
By accepting the offered study place and scholarship covering your tuition fee, you will be automatically registered as an attending student for the academic year 2019–20. If you were accepted conditionally, you will be registered as an attending or non-attending student only after you have fulfilled the conditions required for acceptance.
The scholarship covering your tuition fee includes Helsinki University Student Union's (HYY) membership fee, and therefore you do not have to provide a membership receipt.
Registering as a non-attending student during the first academic year
According to the Universities Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), the Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007) or the Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
- Maternity, paternity or parental leave
- The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
Registering as a non-attending student due to reasons 1 & 2 will not use up your study time. Registering as a non-attending student due to reason 3 will use up your study time.
If you have legal grounds for your absence and you wish to register as non-attending, please contact admission services: email@example.com (by 2 September 2019).
Registering in the following academic years
You must register as an attending or non-attending student every academic year. The registration period is from the beginning of May to the end of August each year. For more information, please see the instructions for students: https://guide.student.helsinki.fi/en/article/tuition-fees.