This page is meant for you if
- You were granted the right to pursue a Bachelor’s or Master's degree in English
- The right was granted in 2020
- You are liable to pay the tuition fee
And you belong to one of the following groups:
- You did not apply for a scholarship from the University of Helsinki Scholarship Programme.
- You were not awarded a scholarship from the University of Helsinki Scholarship Programme.
- Your scholarship from the University of Helsinki Scholarship Programme does not cover the tuition fee.
Every student pursuing a Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree at the University of Helsinki must register as an attending or non-attending student for each academic year.
You will be registered for your first academic year after you have accepted the study place.
Information on the tuition fee, payment procedure and due date is included in the material which is sent to all admitted applicants.
New students must register as an attending or non-attending student by the 31st of August 2020.
If you were accepted conditionally, you will be registered as an attending or non-attending student only after you have fulfilled the conditions required for acceptance.
Registering as an attending student
For your first academic year you automatically register as an attending student by paying your tuition fee.
How to pay the tuition fee:
- The payment instructions will be sent to you after you have received the acceptance e-mail.
- Please note that the tuition fee must be paid as a single instalment for the following academic year.
- Admission services will send you a confirmation message after receiving your tuition fee. Please be patient as the transfer might take a while.
- If you were granted a Scholarship programme Study Grant, you need to pay the remaining part of the tuition fee to register as an attending student.
The tuition fee includes Helsinki University Student Union's (HYY) membership fee, and therefore you do not have to provide a membership receipt.
If you are liable to pay a tuition fee and you do not pay it, you will lose the right to study due to the failure to register. To be readmitted, you must pay the tuition fee and the re-enrolment fee.
Registering as a non-attending student during the first academic year
According to the Universities Act, a first-year student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), the Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007) or the Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
- Maternity, paternity or parental leave
- The student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury.
- Restrictions by officials and restrictions in travelling caused by the COVID-19 or other substantial reason caused by the pandemic
Registering as a non-attending student due to reasons 1 & 2 will not use up your study time. Registering as a non-attending student due to reason 3 will use up your study time.
If you have legal grounds for your absence and you wish to register as non-attending, please contact admission services: firstname.lastname@example.org (by 31 August 2020).
Registering in the following academic years
You must register as an attending or non-attending student every academic year. The registration period is from the beginning of May to the end of August each year. For more information, please visit the instructions for students: https://guide.student.helsinki.fi/en/article/tuition-fees.