Each doctoral student will be assigned a responsible professor, who must be a professor or a docent employed by the faculty which will grant the degree. The responsible professor is familiar with the rules and practices related to doctoral education and doctoral degrees at the University of Helsinki. Responsible professor's duties do not include actual supervision responsibilities, but one of the student’s supervisors may be assigned as a responsible professor, provided he or she fulfils the above criteria. The responsible professor will be appointed at the same time as the supervisors.
In the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine following persons may act as the responsible professor for a doctoral student:
- professor or associate professor
- the person in charge of a discipline (if meeting the above criteria)
- and on decision of the faculty, a person who meets the above criteria and has made a reasoned request to the faculty.
- signs applicants application for doctoral study right,
- is responsible for the continuity of student's supervision arrangements together with the board of the doctoral programme,
- proposes pre-examiners, opponent, custos and the faculty representative(s) of the grading committee,
- confirms the plagiarism report on thesis manuscript (done by Urkund plagiarism detection system),
- approves the completed study modules included in doctoral degree