Coordinating academic of a doctoral candidate
All doctoral students will be assigned supervisor or supervisors and a coordinating academic. The coordinating academic is a professor of the student’s home faculty or a docent employed by the faculty with good knowledge of the requirements and practices of Doctoral studies at the University of Helsinki.
The coordinating academic’s duties do not include actual supervision responsibilities, but one of the supervisors may be assigned as the coordinating academic, if they fulfill the above-mentioned criteria. The coordinating academic will be appointed at the same time as the supervisors.
At the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine following persons may act as the coordinating academic for a doctoral student:
- professor or associate professor
- and on decision of the Faculty, a person who meets the above criteria and has made a reasoned request to the faculty.
- Docent, Senior clinical instructor Anna Hielm-Björkman
- Docent, Senior clinical instructor Laura Hänninen
- Docent, Assistant professor Anna Mykkänen
- Docent, Senior university lecturer Mikael Niku
- Docent, Assistant professor Tarja Pääkkönen
- Docent, Senior university lecturer Marja Raekallio
- Docent, Clinical instructor Minna Rajamäki
- Docent, Clinical instructor Stefan Björkman
You find their contact information on Faculty's research staff website.
Duties of the coordinating academic:
- Signs the application to pursue a doctoral degree in HU
- When submitting the thesis to the Faculty for pre-examination she/he proposes the pre-examiners, the opponent, the custos and other members of the grading committee (if needed)
- Checks the plagiarism report (Ouriginal/Urkund) of the thesis
- Accepts the study modules in the doctoral study module registration form in case no other responsible person (study planner of the doctoral program) has been nominated to do this
On the Instructions for teaching -service there is more detailed information about the role of a coordinating academic.