The research concentrates on the properties of the interstellar medium and the process of star formation, both in the Milky Way and other galaxies.
The topics include:
- Physical and chemical properties of interstellar molecular clouds and the initial conditions for star formation by means of radio spectroscopy
- Properties and composition of interstellar dust grains by observing continuum emission and polarisation from dust
- Measurement and modelling of the Extragalacic Background Light (EBL) in the optical and infrared
- Numerical radiative transfer modelling of spectral lines and dust emission and scattering in interstellar clouds
- Numerical magnetohydrodynamical modelling of the physical properties of the molecular clouds
The main instruments currently used are:
- ESO (European Southern Observatory)
- Large optical telescopes (VLT etc.) and radio telescopes (APEX, ALMA) located in Chile.
- Cosmology satellite with an important contribution to Galactic studies (see ESA press release New Planck images trace cold dust and reveal large-scale structure in the Milky Way)
- Coordinator status in a Scientific Working Group and a Technical Working Group
- Analysis of interstellar medium and the properties of the interstellar dust, polarisatio measurements as a tracer of Galactic magnetic fields.
- See here for more information in Finnish
- The largest space telescope ever
- Participation in Milky Way studies and coordination of the Herschel key programme Galactic Cold Cores
- For more information in English, see ESA's pages and the press release Inside the dark heart of the Eagle
- For information in Finnish, see ESA web page and the local pages on Planck and Herschel studies.
- Jorma Harju, University researcher
- Physicum D312
- Interstellar chemistry, molecular lines, studies of pre-stellar cores
- Mika Juvela, University lecturer
- Physicum D331a
- Modelling of interstellar medium, Herschel and Planck satellite projects
- Kalevi Mattila, Professor (emeritus)
- Physicum A218
- Veli-Matti Pelkonen, postdoctoral researcher (FINCA)
- Planck studies of interstellar medium, infrared observations