Luomus Genomic Resources Collection
The aim of the Genomic resources collections is to bank and store samples for research purposes. The GRC includes the following sample types:
- DNA-extracts (genomic preparations) produced in the course of research projects and deposited for potential further use by the scientific community
- animal tissues (or whole organisms) stored deep frozen, to serve as a source of future DNA extractions (and potentially other investigations)
- high-quality whole-genome DNA preparations
Facilitating GRC loans is planned to begin in 2019.
LUOMUS Genomic resources collection services include sample processing and quality control, deposition and delivery.
Currently, the genomic resources collections include samples of the following groups:
DNA extractions (estimate of number of species or higher taxa)
- Ascomycota 500 (50 species)
- Mollusca 500 (10 species)
- Coleoptera 300 (155 species)
- Diptera 850 (600 species)
- Hymenoptera 13 (13 species)
- Vertebrata 4 100 (190 bird species, 30 mammal species, 3 fish species)
- The GRC samples are stored in freezer conditions optimal for long-term storage.
The Genomic resources collection follow the general collection policy of LUOMUS. The specific GRC policy is under development to be completed in 2018. It will follow the general policies and standards of the Global Genome Biodiversity Network organization (GGBN).
For loan of GRC samples a Material Transfer Agreement document is established between the LUOMUS GRC supplier and the recipient institution (researcher). The MTA document defines the ownership of the material and regulates the use of the loaned samples. The outgoing GRC sample loans are granted based on scientific evaluation of the project.
As facilitating the loans will begin, there will be a postage fee of GRC loans following the general practices of other biobanking institutions. The exact fee is to be determined.
Curator of the Genomic resources collection, Dr. Gunilla Ståhls-Mäkelä; gunilla.stahls(at)helsinki.fi