Right to complete other studies

Students can obtain further professional or academic qualifications by completing non-degree studies, minor subject studies or other studies for inclusion in a degree pursued at another university.

Non-degree studies

Persons not enrolled as undergraduate or postgraduate degree students at the University of Helsinki may be granted a right to complete non-degree studies. This right may be granted to enhance the applicant’s professional or academic expertise or to incorporate the studies in question in a degree completed at another educational institution.

Supplementary studies (i.e., studies that supplement a degree completed at the University of Helsinki) also count as non-degree studies.

NB! As a rule, students at universities and higher education institutes that are parties to the Flexible Study Right Agreement should apply for the right to study using the Flexible Study Right (JOO) application form.

Prin­ciples for non-de­gree study rights at the Fac­ulty of Ag­ri­cul­ture and Forestry

Issues to be taken into account when considering applications for the right to complete non-degree studies include the relevant department’s teaching resources, the applicant’s prior studies and the grounds given by the applicant. The right to complete non-degree studies does not give the applicant the right to pursue degree studies at the Faculty, and non-degree students do not enjoy the same rights and benefits as degree students. The right to complete non-degree studies only covers the studies for which the right has specifically been granted. The right to study is granted for a maximum of two years.

Eligible applicants for the right to complete non-degree studies include

  • Persons wishing to incorporate the studies in a degree pursued at another educational institution
  • Persons wishing to supplement a prior academic or vocational degree
  • Professionals wishing to upgrade their expertise
  • Open University students who are unable to study the subjects in question to a sufficient extent elsewhere
  • Other persons deemed eligible by the Faculty
Ad­mis­sions pro­ced­ure for non-de­gree stud­ies

Applicants should apply for the right to complete non-degree studies using an electronic form.  Applications will be processed twice per term.

  • In spring term the period for applying is 2.-16.4.2024 at 15.00 
  • In autumn term the period for applying is 1.-15.10. 2024 at 15.00

Fees for non-de­gree stud­ies

Non-degree studies are subject to a fee. The fee covers teaching arrangements, materials and related services, not teaching and examinations. The fee must be paid before the beginning of studies.

Fees for non-degree studies from 1 August 2015:

15 euros per credit (Dean’s decision 36/2015 on fees and remunerations at the Faculty)

The invoice will be sent to the student upon admission.

Fur­ther in­form­a­tion about teach­ing avail­able at the Fac­ulty

Further information on available courses can be found, e.g., in the Faculty’s course catalogue. Up-to-date information can be found on Sisu, where you can search for course information with, e.g., the course title, abbreviation or five-digit registration code. You can also browse and view information on courses taught at the Faculty using the University’s course search service.  The search service can be accessed without a university username or password.

Flex­ible study right scheme (JOO)

All Finnish universities are parties to the Flexible Study Right (JOO) Agreement that enables undergraduate and postgraduate students to include studies completed at other Finnish universities in their degrees free of charge. Students must register as attending students at their home university to apply for the flexible study right and to complete studies at another university.

The flexible study right scheme aims to expand the course selection of the students’ home university, to increase study options and to support the smooth progress of studies. For students, the flexible study right scheme provides an opportunity to include in their degrees relevant studies taught by other universities as well as to make use of experts and specialist fields of other universities.

Doc­toral education

The Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry offers the following doctoral degrees: Doctor of Science (Agriculture and Forestry), Doctor of Food Sciences, and Doctor of Philosophy.