Hematology Research Unit Helsinki is a translational research group, which aims to understand the pathobiology of malignant blood diseases (such as leukemia) and related autoimmune disorders and to find novel therapy targets and modes of action. Tumor immunology, both in hematological malignancies and solid tumors, is also our focus area. We combine basic cancer research with clinical drug studies and our long-term goal is to develop curative treatment strategies for patients.
Our research group is affiliated both with the University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Hospital Comprehensive Cancer Center, and has close connections with the clinical patient care and basic science. Our laboratory and office spaces are located in Biomedicum Helsinki, a center for medical research and training established in 2001 in Helsinki, Finland. We have a strong international collaborative network, which includes both basic scientists and clinical researchers in the fields of hematology, immunology and molecular genetics from all over the world (US, Japan, several European countries) thus providing excellent surroundings for translational projects.
Hematology Research Unit Helsinki builds on a strong basic science and clinical backbone, and the study questions evolve directly from patient care. However, we also aim to bring the results back from bench to bedside and believe that the clinical patient care will be more individualized in the near future-thus providing excellent settings for translational research projects and close collaborations with clinicians and basic scientists.
- University Of Virginia Cancer Center (USA) Thomas P. Loughran and Thomas Olson
- Taussig Cancer Institute (USA) Jaroslaw Maciejewski and Michael J. Clemente
- Helsinki University Hospital (FIN) Marjatta Leirisalo-Repo, Heikki Repo, Annamari Ranki and Mikko Seppänen
- Turku Centre For Biotechnology (FIN) Riitta Lahesmaa, Laura Elo-Uhlgren and Tapio Lönnberg
- Aalto University (FIN) Harri Lähdesmäki
- Institute For Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM, FIN) Olli Kallioniemi, Caroline Heckman, Krister Wennerberg, Tero Aittokallio, Janna Saarela, Jing Tang and Pekka Ellonen
- National Center For Tumor Diseases (NCT), Heidelberg (GER) Thorsten Zenz
- Cecad, Cologne University (GER) Marco Herling
- National Cancer Center, Tokyo (JPN) Hiroyoshi Nishikawa
- Shinzu University Hospital (JPN) Fumiro Ishida
- Nordic CML Study Group Henrik Hjorth-Hansen (NOR), Johan Richter (SWE), Ulla Olsson-Strömberg (Swe), Leif Stenke (SWE) and Bjorn-Tore Gjertsen (NOR)
- University Of Bristol (UK) Linda Wooldridge