Always check the registration dates in the relevant study programme. Registration begins at noon 45 days before the beginning of the course or module. Please read the registration and payment terms first, as registration is binding. If a study group is full, you can register for the reserve list. You will be notified by email if a place in the group becomes available.
Online registration is for students who have Finnish identity number. Registration begins at noon 45 days before the beginning of the course or module.
- Select a study programme from among the studies available.
- Begin the registration process by clicking on the registration link in the study programme.
- Fill in the information on the registration form.
- Confirm your registration by paying the study fee. You will be redirected to the service of Paytrail Oyj, which supports the most common online banks and credit cards.
- After paying the fee, you will return to the registration system and can continue to register for other studies.
- After registering, you can view your registration and payment information on My pages.
- You will receive an email confirmation of your new account in the web service and of your registration.
- Register at the University’s Admissions Services if you don't have Finnish identity number or the study fee is to be invoiced to your employer or if corporate invoicing is to be used. For corporate invoicing, the relevant company must provide a financial commitment or order in writing. Additional information: Admissions Services
- Register at Admissions Services if you do not have an online banking ID.
You will be granted a fixed-term right to complete the studies for which you register. The right to study will be valid as of the registration date. During your studies, you can check the validity of your study rights in WebOodi.
Please see the registration and payment terms.
The cancellation terms of partner institutions may vary. Check the terms in the study programme or directly from the relevant institution.
You can resume discontinued studies by registering for courses which you have not completed. Most disciplines allow you to register for individual courses. Check the information about substituting studies in your discipline if its degree requirements have been amended since your previous studies.
As a rule, completed courses and modules are valid for ten years. If you completed your studies more than ten years ago, please contact the education specialist.
- 15 euros per credit. NB! Study fees and cancellation terms vary at the Open University’s partner institutions.
- The study fee entitles the student to attend the classes specified in the study programme and to take the associated examinations.
- More information in the study programmes
Summer courses are free of charge for undergraduate students of the University of Helsinki who are enlisted as attending students at the moment of registration. This excludes a possible fee for study materials.
The fees for any study material used in courses are indicated in the study programmes and must always be paid in conjunction with the study fee.
Examination questions in a language other than Finnish or Swedish: 75 euros per examination
The study fee includes examination questions in Finnish or Swedish. If the language of instruction is other than Finnish or Swedish, the fee includes examination questions in that language as well. Students must pay a fee to receive examination questions in another language.
Remote examination: If you wish to take an examination at the time and date specified in the study programme, but at another venue approved by the Open University, you must arrange the location, have it approved by the Open University, and pay all the expenses related to acquiring the facility for taking the examination.
Transfer examination: 75 euros per examination
Students can take examinations administered by other educational institutions at Open University examination sessions. Such examinations can be administered with the permission of the educational institution and examiner in question. Agree on arrangements for transfer examinations with the examination service.
Transcripts of studies
Completed studies are recorded in the Student Register (Oodi) of the University of Helsinki. Transcripts from the Student Register are official documents and serve as certificates of completed studies.
More information on certificates and study transcripts
The price of a transcript of studies:
- 4 euros per transcript if collected from the Open University or mailed within Finland
- 8 euros per transcript if mailed abroad