You can graduate with a Doctor (or Licentiate) of Philosophy degree after:
- All postgraduate studies are completed in your major subject, and PhD (or Licentiate) thesis has been approved.
- Postgraduate study module and PhD (or Licentiate) thesis have been registered.
- Completed at least 40 (in the new degree programmes) or 60 credits of studies that have not been incorporated into another degree.
You must be registered for attendance or non-attendance for the term during which you will be awarded your degree. The degree diploma may be granted to a non-attending student provided that the student has completed all the studies required for the degree and these studies have been registered during the previous term.
Registration of study modules. Students must ensure that their studies have been registered as modules in the study register Oodi. Students must check study and module grades. Before requesting their diploma, students can submit a correction application concerning converted grades to the department that registered the module in question.
The graduation date is the date when the Faculty has received the student’s diploma application and found that the student has completed all the studies required for the degree.
The delivery time is approximately two or three weeks from when the application was submitted. In busy periods (i.e., June and December), the delivery period may be longer.
The diploma can be collected from Kumpula Student Services. If you cannot collect the diploma, it can be mailed to the address indicated on your diploma application form. The diploma will be delivered as a 2nd class letter. You must indicate on your diploma application form whether you will collect your diploma from Student Services or have it mailed to you. If the diploma goes missing or is damaged in transit, you can receive only a copy, not another original diploma.
Graduation in the autumn term 2018
- If you wish to graduate during the autumn term 2018 you will need to submit the application for the degree diploma by 31 December.
- Please note that if you wish to receive the diploma before Christmas holidays, the degree diploma application must be submitted 30 November at the latest.
- Make sure all the studies and study modules for the degree have been completed, accepted and registered before filling in the degree diploma application. Reserve enough time for registration of studies and study modules.
- Diploma applications will not be processed between 17 December 2018 and 4 January 2019.
- If the application is submitted between 17 and 31 December 2018 the graduation date will be 31 December 2018 and the degree diploma will be delivered in January.
- If the application is submitted after 31 December 2018 the graduation will be in the spring term 2019. Please note this if your study right ends 31 December 2018.
You can request copies of your diploma subject to a fee of 8 € per copy. If you wish to obtain a copy of your diploma, send your request via email to email@example.com and pay the fee in advance. You must enclose a copy of the fee-payment receipt with your request for a diploma copy.
The fee must be paid to the following account: Nordea FI23 1660 3000 0777 20. If you pay from abroad, the Swift code is NDEAFIHH. The recipient must be indicated as the Faculty of Science, and the reference number as 99113238. NB! Please make sure to quote the reference number.
The Faculty has not provided translations of diplomas since 1 January 2016. More information about translations of diplomas.
Students who graduate with a Bachelor or Master of Science, Licentiate or Doctor of Philosophy degree can attend one of the two annual graduation ceremonies (June 14th and December 19th, 2018), depending on the term in which they graduate. Please notice that you will receive an invitation to Graduation Ceremony by e-mail. More information about the ceremony on intranet pages.
In addition, the Faculty of Philosophy organises a conferment ceremony at approximately five-year intervals, where Master’s and doctoral graduates receive the insignia associated with their degree. The Faculty of Philosophy is composed of the Faculties of Arts, Science, Biological and Environmental Sciences, Educational Sciences and Pharmacy.
THE ALUMNI NETWORK
We hope that you maintain contact with the Faculty and your department even after graduation.
By registering with the University’s Campus Alumni network, you will receive a newsletter about current events and research at the University four times a year. The network already includes hundreds of Faculty graduates.