You can register for non-attendance for the 2020–2021 academic year only if your non-attendance is based on a statutory reason.
- Should the statutory reason for your non-attendance apply only to the second academic term (e.g., military service or maternity leave beginning in January), you can register as a non-attending student for the entire academic year. You can also change the status of your registration for the spring term from attendance to non-attendance during the spring term registration period.
- If your right to study starts at the beginning of the year, you only need to submit the documents demonstrating the statutory reason for your non-attendance in the spring term.
- If you already hold a right to complete a degree and have now been granted a new right, you can register as a non-attending student only if you have a statutory reason for non-attendance.
If you do not register in the above manner by 31 August 2020, you will lose your right to study. If you wish to recommence your studies later, you must apply for readmission to the University.
Statutory reasons for non-attendance during the first academic year and documents to evidence them
According to the Universities Act, a first-year student can register for non-attendance in the academic year for statutory reasons only. These reasons are listed below, together with a description of the documents you can use to demonstrate that your non-attendance is based on a statutory reason:
1. Service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007) or Act on Women’s Voluntary Military Service (194/1995)
- Call-up order
2. Maternity, paternity or parental leave
- Kela’s certificate regarding the period of maternity, paternity or parental allowance or, if the certificate has not yet been received, a medical certificate regarding the pregnancy
- Corresponding certificates from the authorities of other countries regarding statutory parental leave
3. Incapacity due to personal illness or injury
- Decision on a sickness allowance or, if no decision exists, a medical certificate specifying your illness or injury and stating that the illness or injury prevents you from beginning your studies in August
- Obstacles due to practical arrangements required by the illness or injury; appropriate clarification, e.g., a certificate from the student housing foundation attesting that you are on a waiting list for an apartment required by your injury – your own notification is not deemed appropriate clarification.
4. Restrictions by officials and restrictions in travelling caused by the COVID-19 or other substantial reason caused by the pandemic
A statement from your local Finnish mission or a link to its webpage stating that they are closed and you are unable to proceed with your residence permit application
A statement from or a link to official (governmental or public authority) website stating the travel restrictions from your country of residence to Finland.
Other documentation stating how the COVID-19 has prevented you from starting your studies
The documents must be submitted in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Registering as a non-attending student
Complete the electronic registration form.
Submit a document complying with the instructions on this page and demonstrating that your non-attendance is based on a statutory reason to Admissions Services as an attachment to an encrypted email message. However, if you are demonstrating by a call-up order that your non-attendance is based on a statutory reason, you can send the call-up order as an ordinary email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that if you wish to register as a non-attending student for only the autumn or spring term, you must complete the registration form and submit a receipt of payment of the membership fee (for the term of attendance) as well as a certificate for the statutory reason for your non-attendance as an attachment to an encrypted email message.
The documents can also be sent to the following address (please complete and attach this form to the documents):
PO Box 24
00014 University of Helsinki
When you begin your studies later, please submit the certificate verifying the reasons for your non-attendance to Student Services. By doing so, you ensure that your non-attendance will not reduce the duration of your degree studies.