Think Corner's event policy
The event facilities at Think Corner are open-space, making events held there always accessible to anyone. Start by considering whether the openness of the facilities and their unrestricted access benefit the goals of your event or whether they hamper its organisation. Think Corner is always full of life and services.
Event content must comply with Think Corner's mission
- Think Corner makes science part of people’s everyday life by turning top-level research and scientific themes into current topics of discussion – at events and online.
- Think Corner increases interaction and collaboration between the University and societal stakeholders, bringing influential parties in academia, the economy and society under the same roof.
- Think Corner is a gateway to the University. Think Corner makes the University of Helsinki easily approachable and facilitates getting to know its operations.
As a priority, Think Corner strives to make interesting scientific topics widely known. Events must have scientific content or a clear connection to research, science, the University or interaction between science and the rest of society. The content and the manner in which events are organised must be geared to the general public.
Our event policy
- Hosted discussion events on scientific topics and scientific discourse on current topics
- New, innovative and interactive methods of popularising science
- Interviews with researchers and specialists, as well as addresses of a high standard, such as a presentation for the public by an important visitor to a scientific conference
- Publication of research results obtained at the University of Helsinki
- Events increasing the impact of science and research-based publications
- Stakeholder and coworking events for members of the University community and its stakeholders
- Individual showcases belonging to lecture series or workshop-based courses
- Scientific demonstrations and practice-based research projects
- Academic events enriching the social life on campus, participation in urban events
- Private events and parties, festive seminars and staff events (The event facilities cannot be closed for private use, nor can the entire building be booked for a single event.)
- Lecture series and course-like workshops
- Intensive panel discussions (with more than five panellists)
- Full-day events, seminars and conferences
- Info sessions with no connection to the mission of Think Corner (such as public sector info sessions unrelated to research, science or academic interaction)
- Corporate events, commercial promotions, trade shows, exhibitions, etc. with no connection to science, research-based product development, university cooperation or the programming themes of Think Corner
- Poster exhibitions
- One-sided political or religious events
- Workshops for more than 30 people
In the event proposal, the event organiser must be able to describe the content, purpose and presenters of the event to a degree that makes it possible to determine the event’s suitability for Think Corner. The organiser cannot unilaterally and substantially change the content and purpose of the event. Think Corner reserves the right to assess whether the content and method of implementation are appropriate for Think Corner.
Events where topics related to politics, religion, values or beliefs are discussed must be multi-voiced. This means that the event must include experts representing different opinions and perspectives. Think Corner reserves the right to assess whether the requirement on the multi-voiced nature of events is fulfilled.
If the event is organised by a company or another commercial operator, the event content must take into account convergences with science and research.
Events for invited guests can be held in the Think Corner facilities, but such events cannot be closed to the general public unless the maximum occupancy of the building is reached. Limited catering can be arranged for guests in conjunction with events. Think Corner reserves the right to decide when the maximum occupancy of the building is reached and when stewards must be placed at the entrances to control access.
Think Corner is closed in accordance with separately announced summer and public holiday opening hours.