Fixed-term doctoral candidate positions starting in 2019
The call is open September 14-27, 2018.
University of Helsinki allocates funding to doctoral programmes for salaried doctoral candidate positions. The doctoral candidates selected for the positions shall be hired for full-time employment for the duration of maximun 4 years, with the aim that the doctoral degree shall be completed within the duration of the employment.
The doctoral candidates selected for the positions are employed by and carry out their research in one of the University’s faculties or independent institutes. The doctoral candidates are hired for full-time positions with the aim of completing their doctoral degree in four years.
The salary for the doctoral candidate position is based on level 2–4 of the job requirement scheme for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition, the doctoral candidate will be paid a salary component based on personal work performance. Depending on the doctoral candidate’s qualifications and experience, the salary is EUR 2085–3205 per month. The appointment starts with a probationary period of maximum 6 months.
WHO MAY APPLY
You can apply for doctoral candidate positions on a fixed-term employment contract if
- ou have an active right to study for a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki and have not previously received in total, four years full-time funding for your doctoral studies, or
- ou have not yet been granted the right to study for a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki but match the profile of one of the doctoral programmes and meet the eligibility criteria for the right to study for a doctoral degree, see instructions at https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research/doctoral-education/the-application-process-in-a-nutshell . As the right to study for a doctoral degree is a precondition for beginning employment in a doctoral candidate position funded by the University, you must apply for the right to study for a doctoral degree in addition to applying for the fixed-term doctoral candidate position.
If your degree is not completed by the end of the application period, check the eligibility on the doctoral programme web pages.
All applications for doctoral candidate positions must be submitted using an online electronic form. The same form can be used for applying for the right to study for a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki.
Information on the form includes
- research plan
- funding plan
- study plan
- CV (former studies and relevant working experience)
Please note that the application form does not accept special characters.
Check the programme-specific instructions on the doctoral programme’s website for possible other required attachments, which may include a supervisor approval form.
Applicants, who do not yet have the right to pursue a doctoral degree at the University of Helsinki (see instructions at https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research/doctoral-education/the-application-process-in-a-nutshell) should attach the following additional documents:
- degree diploma (Master's Degree or equivalent)
- transcript of records (Master's Degree or equivalent)
- verification of language skills
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be reviewed. Based on the evaluation, applicants may be invited for an interview with the doctoral programme.
More information and the link to the electronic application form will be published in August here, https://www.helsinki.fi/en/research/doctoral-education/funding.