Many of the skills doctoral candidates acquire are transferable as candidates become excellent problem solvers, learn to present their ideas both orally and in writing and get experienced in project management. To further this learning and promote active career planning both inside and outside academia DONASCI organises targeted courses in transferable skills (also known as general competence studies). Topical research courses are organised by the doctoral programmes and departments.
Attending a course normally requires pre-registration. Registration usually opens at 9 am in WebOodi but do check the registration instructions for each course as there may be exceptions. To secure a seat it is advisable to register as early as possible. After the course registration has closed applicants will receive a notification about participation in the course. The courses organised by the school are primarily intended for doctoral candidates of the school. If the number of course applicants exceeds the number of available seats, the participants are selected in this order:
- Doctoral candidates in DONASCI doctoral programmes in order of registration
- Doctoral candidates in other doctoral schools of the University of Helsinki in order of registration
- Others in order of registration
Most of our courses are very popular and we cannot accept all applicants. Many will be placed on a waiting list. As we want to avoid empty seats on our courses and give as many doctoral candidates as possible the opportunity to attend you must cancel your seat in time if you don't participate after all. To cancel, please do the following:
- While the course registration period is still open, please cancel your participation in WebOodi.
- After the registration has closed and especially if you have already been accepted onto the course, please contact the planning officer of DONASCI.
Skipping classes and no-shows
Please notice that not showing up for the first session of a course means dropping out from the course and losing your seat. If you get sick or have some other acceptable reason for not being able to attend all the classes, please contact the teacher and agree on missing part of the teaching. On some courses you will need to complete extra tasks to make up for the missed classes.