The date and time when registration for a particular course opens in WebOodi is given in the course announcement. Once the call is opened a deadline for registrations is given. Usually the call for applications opens approximately one month and closes approximately two weeks before the course starts. These are only guidelines – always check the deadlines for the course you are interested in! Please follow your email and the doctoral programme homepages to stay up-to-date on courses.
Courses and Events
ILS degree structure and all courses and other study units in Weboodi.
Introduction to systems biology (Transmed)
Light microscopy – practical course
13.-21.9.2018, at 8-17, 2 credits
More info and registration link coming soon!
By the end of the course students will have hands on experience from the most common light microscopy methods, which will help them get started with their own imaging projects. In addition, students will also be familiar with sample preparation and data analysis for the presented techniques.
Next Generation Genomics 2018
22.10. Journal Club/Pre-symposium
25.-26.10. Workshop I
29.-31.10. Workshop II
1. or 2.11. Workshop III
More info and registration coming soon!
All confirmed ILS courses are here: https://courses.helsinki.fi/
And in the list below
Doctoral School in Health Sciences offers courses in transferable skills (general competence studies). See list below.
Cell Biology Club Spring 2018
The Cell Biology Club seminar series will be organized on selected Thursdays at 14.15-15.30. Coffee is served at 14.00. Everybody welcome!
8.2.2018 Biocenter 2, Hall 1015
Sigurdur Gudmunsson (Faculty of Bio- and Environmental Sciences): “Membrane dynamics during intial steps of mitochondrial autophagy”
15.3.2018 Infocenter Korona, Hall 4
Giuseppe Balistreri (Faculty of Bio- and Environmental Sciences): “How ion channels coordinate plasma membrane dynamics and actin cytoskeleton during endocytosis”
Darshan Kumar (Institute of Biotechnology): “REEP3 and REEP4 determine the tubular morphology of the endoplasmic reticulum during mitosis”.
12.4.2018 Infocenter Korona, Hall 4
Fred Michon (Institute of Biotechnology): TBA
Xiaonan Liu (Institute of Biotechnology): “An integrated approach to comprehensively map the molecular context of proteins”
3.5.2018 Biocenter 2, Hall 1015
Tiina Viita (Institute of Biotechnology): Nuclear actin interactome reveals novel functions for actin in the nucleus.
Anni Nieminen (Institute of Biotechnology and Faculty of Bio- and Environmental Sciences): “Metabolic adaptation of liver cancer cells to glutamine-restriction”
Organiser: Dr Susanna Fagerholm (Institute of Biotechnology & Department of Biosciences)
Tool Of the Month (TOM) is a monthly course to discuss various tools and methods that we, bioinformaticians, use in our research. We discuss various bioinformatics relevant algorithms, softwares, packages in R/Python/Perl/any-of-your-favourite-language. And if you want to talk about your research/tool/method that’s even better!
Link to TOM program: https://blogs.helsinki.fi/ils-blogs/category/tool-of-the-month-tom/
NorDoc – Nordic Doctoral Training in Health Sciences network provides doctoral training courses in health offered by the NorDoc partner organisations:
- Graduate School of Health, Aarhus University (Denmark)
- Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Bergen (Norway)
- The Graduate School of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen (Denmark)
- Sahlgrenska Akademin, University of Gothenburg (Sweden)
- Doctoral School in Health Sciences, University of Helsinki (Finland)
- School of Health Sciences, University of Iceland (Iceland)
- Karolinska Institutet (Sweden)
- Health and Biosciences Doctoral Programme, University of Oulu (Finland)
- Graduate School of Health Sciences, University of Southern Denmark (NOT AVAILABLE YET)
- Faculty of Medicine Postgraduate Education Unit (PGE), University of Turku
See national course list, for example, in FinBioNet page (→ FinBioNet course calendar).
Training offered by DSHealth (Doctoral school in Health Sciences)
Courses offered by the Doctoral School in Health Sciences teach skills necessary for all professional researchers and experts in other scientific positions regardless of their scientific background. Please refer to the DSHealth doctoral school website for the most recent information on available courses.
It is also advisable that all ILS students join the DSHealth mailing list to stay up-to-date on DSHealth activities. As a member of ils-predoc email-list you are automatically on that list. Information on joining the mailing list is available here.
Also, The Viikki-based Doctoral School in Environmental, Food and Biological Sciences (YEB) has transferable skills education.
Seminars and other events in Viikki
Cell Biology Club (by ILS, see above)
Microbiology seminars (by MBDP doctoral programme)
Virus Club (by MBDP doctoral programme)
Developmental biology journal club
Food Science seminar series
Other courses at the University of Helsinki
You may also find relevant courses in the Master’s Programmes of the University of Helsinki.
Or you can search from all University of Helsinki courses in English.
PhD courses organised by other doctoral programmes and schools
Information skills courses by the Helsinki University Library
Career planning courses by the University of Helsinki Career Services
The ILS Spring event and Student Symposium will be held in Tvärminne Zoological Station 7-8th of May. Registration to this event is open until April 22th.
The event joins together in the same occasion two very important parts of the ILS curriculum.
1. The ILS Introductory Course (1 ECTS) is an annual event strongly recommended to all ILS students. Especially now with the new degree structures of the doctoral programs. This is your place to learn about the degree requirements, thesis committee practices, and how students can influence their studies at the University of Helsinki. And even more importantly, you will learn to know your fellow students and participate in developing the ILS student community activities.
2. The ILS student symposium (1 ECTS) is organized at the same time by a group of ILS students. This symposium is intended as an opportunity to share knowledge over the disciplines and expertise areas of the students. The program consists of Keynote presentations by selected ILS students who have recently published their work, general thematic short lectures by ILS students on selected topics, Project talks by ILS students. Obviously all this will be thoroughly discussed during the social part of the program including Symposium dinner, outdoor activities, sauna and free time in good company!
Please register at:
Registration deadline Sunday April 22th, 2018.
Your contribution is strongly encouraged either as a keynote presentations and special lecture or a presentation on your thesis project!