After two May Days celebrated online, the ceremony of placing a cap on Havis Amanda will once again be held on location at the Market Square. The higher education student unions of the Helsinki Metropolitan Area take turns placing the cap on the statue. This year, the honour falls to the Student Union of the University of Helsinki.
Ahead of its arrival at the Market Square on the eve of May Day, the cap has already completed an honorary tour of the University of Helsinki campuses in Meilahti, Kumpula, Viikki and the City Centre.
“The recent crises have put our community and wellbeing to the test. I'm sure everyone has yearned for the freedom to celebrate, meet and hug; for the chance to once again experience the joy of being together,” says Arttu Mäkinen from the Manta Crew volunteers in charge of placing the cap on Havis Amanda’s head.
You can also follow the event on the Student Union’s May Day Instagram account. @havisamanda2022
- 4 PM: DJ Vicky begins
- 4.30 PM: Manta’s cap arrives to the Market Square in the carriage of Sinebrychoff brewery horses
- 5 PM: Washing of Manta
- 5.10 PM: Viikki-speksi’s dance performance and collective dance number
- 5.30 PM: May Day greetings from the City of Helsinki, Deputy Mayor Nasima Razmyar
- 5.45 PM: Finnish record attempt at group karaoke hosted by Karaokekeisari Heikkinen
- 5.55 PM: Manta’s vaccination
- 6 PM: Crowning of Manta
- 6.05–6.35 PM: BESS
HAPPY MAY DAY!