The University of Helsinki is allocating funds to hire researchers who are fleeing the war in Ukraine
Employment must begin between August 1 and December 31.

The University of Helsinki is joining other institutes of higher education in Finland in supporting researchers who have had to flee Ukraine.

It is now possible for a unit at the University of Helsinki to hire a researcher on career steps 2 or 3 for one year with 40% of the cost being covered by common funds. The remaining 60% will be covered by the hiring unit.

The support is meant for researchers who have arrived from Ukraine because of the war after February 24, 2022. Employment must begin between August 1 and December 31, 2022.

The support is allocated to 20 researchers, and all units of the university are eligible to apply. The university is therefore not opening a specific funding call, but instead a unit can propose a researcher coming from Ukraine for the funding by contacting the HR-Services.

“In 2022 the support is focused to those researchers, who have lost their chances to conduct research in Ukraine because of Russia’s attack. The idea is to later be able to offer similar support to researchers under threat coming from other countries as well,” says Head of development Markus Laitinen.

Academy of Finland: Call for inviting researchers from Ukraine to Finland 

Also the Academy of Finland supports researchers that have fled from Ukraine because of the war. The Academy has established a Call for inviting researchers from Ukraine to Finland, in which the entire salary costs of a researcher can be applied for directly from the Academy by a Finland-based researcher.

More information: Academy of Finland: Call for inviting researchers from Ukraine to Finland.

More information on the University-level guidelines and instructions regarding the war in Ukraine.