The Kumpula Campus, dedicated to research and teaching in the exact natural sciences, is perched on a verdant hill only four kilometres from the centre of Helsinki. This idyllic campus comprises the largest cluster of scientific competence in the Nordic countries. The research conducted on the Kumpula Campus is recognised as world class, and teaching is provided by successful scientists.
The key areas are space research, data science, atmospheric sciences, urban research and mathematical physics as well as nanoscience. The broad nature of these disciplines and vibrant international connections offer both a motivating atmosphere as well as a firm basis for interdisciplinary cooperation. The compact campus houses an active and creative scientific community of researchers and students.
Location and instructions
Kumpula is well connected to public transportation. Use the HSL Journey Planner to plot your way there.
Research and teaching
The Kumpula Campus focuses on research and teaching in the exact natural sciences. The Faculty’s strategic fields of research include space research, basic environmental research, atmospheric science, nanoscience, data science, computational science, mathematical physics, analysis of biological data, geoinformatics, geosciences and urban studies.
Faculties and units at the Kumpula Campus
- Faculty of Science
- Helsinki Institute of Physics (HIP)
- Helsinki Institute for Information Technology (HIIT)
- Institute of Seismology
- VERIFIN - Finnish Institute for Verification of the Chemical Weapons Convention
Other research institutes
- Luma Centre Finland
- Finnish Meteorological Institute
- Head Office of the ICOS (Integrated Carbon Observation System)
Services on the Kumpula Campus
Admission and student services at Kumpula
- Are you interested in studying at the University of Helsinki’s Kumpula Campus? Find out more from Admission Services.
- Kumpula Student Services provides assistance to students of all units on the Kumpula Campus. For contact details, see the Student Services website.
Kumpula Campus Library
The collections of the Kumpula Campus Library in the Physicum building comprise an extensive range of literature pertaining to the campus’s areas of research.
Cafeterias and restaurants at Kumpula
- UniCafe Physicum (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2)
- UniCafe Chemicum (A.I. Virtasen aukio 1)
- UniCafe Exactum (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)
- The nearby Arabia shopping centre has several restaurants and cafés.
The campus has a UniSport location which offers comprehensive opportunities for exercise.