Open Access Resources
In addition to the resources licensed by the library, there is a lot of scientific online material available to everyone. The library has collect here tips how to locate and access open access resources.
Open access resources in Helka database
You can search open access resources in Helka database by choosing 'Open Access' under Availability.
DOAB (Directory of Open Access Books) is the most extensive critical directory of scientific Open Access books. For those interested in Open Access publishing, DOAB website contains a useful listing of subject areas including information about the publishers.
OAPEN-database contains freely available scientific monographs, mainly in the humanities and social sciences.
Open Access eBooks on JSTOR contains openly available academic monographs, mainly in the field of humanities and social sciences.
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) on kattavin kriittisesti laadittu luettelo tieteellisistä Open Access -lehdistä. Open Access -julkaisemisesta kiinnostuneelle tutkijalle hyödyllinen alakohtainen jaottelu löytyy DOAJn sivuilta.
- Suomalaisten tiedelehtien avointa aineistoa voi etsiä Tieteellisten seurain valtuuskunnan ylläpitämästä Journal.fi-palvelusta. Sivustolla on noin 80 suomalaista tieteellistä lehteä ja vuosikirjaa.
Search Engines and Databases
- Coreis a large UK-based database that harvests open repositories effectively from various sources. It is also a source for other services, for example for the Iris.AI platform. The Core database welcomes all open repositories and journals that are interested in joining. Helda, the Digital Repository of the University of Helsinki, is one of the repositories that has joined Core’s set of repositories. Compared to Google Scholar, Core’s harvesting technique is more systematic. All material in Core is openly available. It indexes currently more than 135 million documents.
- BASE is a German search engine that provides more than 150 million documents. About 60% of these documents are Open Access. BASE is a user-friendly way to search for free versions of research articles from different publishers. It also offers versatile search and sorting functions.
- Google Scholar a search engine designed especially for scholarly texts. It contains a lot of openly available material. The service indexes materials in several languages, including in Finnish.
- OpenAIRE- funded by the European Commission, harvests European and international repositories. It has an Open Access database of around 10 million publications or datasets. The basic search in OpenAIRE shows the level of the openness, discipline classification and type of the document (e.g. thesis or pre-print).
Browser extensions and plug-ins
You can install a browser extension or a plug-in to facilitate finding articles which are open access.