The application round for docentship is open twice a year (March & September). Next application period: 1–31 March 2020. Required closures are: a free-form application letter including one's contact information and specification of the field of the applied docentship, an English-language academic portfolio / CV, an English-language list of publications, and publications. Please, check the instructions below.
After the application period closes, the Faculty’s research committee will make a preliminary assessment on whether the applicant fulfils the requirements for the title of docent on the basis of their list of publications and CV. If the assessment is affirmative, the committee will make a proposal on two assessors to the Faculty Council, in addition to which the committee will also comment on the field of the docentship. In both choosing the assessors and determining the field, the committee has the right to consult professors of the field. As regards the teaching skills of the applicant, the committee has the right to consult the chair of the teaching skills committee.
If the assessment by the research committee is negative, the applicant can choose to withdraw their application or request the Faculty Council to decide whether the application will be further processed. Decisions on the assessors and the field of the docentship are made by the Faculty Council at the proposal of the research committee.
- Scientific, especially peer-reviewed publications from the point of view of the field of applied docentship. In quantity, the applicant's publications should be equivalent in scope to two doctoral dissertations; both monographs and research articles can be included.
- Moreover, her/his research conducted after the doctoral dissertation should contribute to new scholarly knowledge and demonstrate development as an independent researcher ("new openings" after the dissertation).
- The teaching skills committee evaluates the applicant’s teaching skills using the faculty’s common criteria.
The applicants submit their applications using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link “Apply the title”. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki leave their application via the SAP HR portal. After logging in, find the correct announcement with the reference code which will be available during the application round. Application left without the reference code will not be connected to correct process.
Applications can be submitted by using the system only during application periods.
Both the application and its enclosures must be submitted to the University’s electronic recruitment system. The application must be accompanied by the following enclosures.
- A free-form application letter addressed to the Faculty of Law. In the letter, including his/her contact information, the applicant should specify the field of the applied docentship ("I apply a title of docent in xxx").
- An English-language academic portfolio or CV, containing also information on the applicant’s teaching experience (see instructions and criteria)
- List of publications. Please, use the categories defined by the Ministry of Education
- Publications submitted for assessment. Publications should be submitted via recruitment system and each document should have letters DOS in the beginning of its name and be numbered as in the list of publications. Should the publication not be available in electronical form, two hard copies of the publication must be delivered to the Faculty.
- A non-Finnish Citizen should include a copy of the passport certified by two people. Copies of relevant diplomas and certificates enclosed should have an English-language translation if the original diploma/certificate is granted in another language than Finnish, Swedish or English. Diplomas and Certificates shall be enclosed to academic portfolio as instructed.
Applications for the title of docent are submitted to the recruitment system via the link “Apply the title”. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal.
After logging in, find the correct announcement with the reference code HY15717 (internal applicants via SAP HR portal) or HY15719 (external applicants). Applications left without a reference code will not be connected to the correct process. Applications can be submitted during the application period only.