The next application round is open between March 1st and 28th, 2019. Required closures are: a free-form application letter including one's contact information and specification of the field of the applied docentship, an English-language academic portfolio / CV, an English-language list of publications, and publications. Please, check the instructions below.
The application round for docentship is open twice a year (March & September). The applicants submit their applications using the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link “Apply the title”. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki leave their application via the SAP HR portal. After logging in, find the correct announcement with the reference code which will be available during the application round. Application left without the reference code will not be connected to correct process.
After the application round has closed, the Research Committee of the Faculty of Law considers on the ground of his/her portfolio and publication list whether the applicants seem to fulfill the qualifications for docentship so that their applications can be sent forward to be fully evaluated.
The Research Committee prepares a proposal to the Faculty Steering Committee which decides whether the applications will be sent forward to the expert evaluators. The Teaching Skills Committee evaluates applicants’ teaching skills. On the grounds of the evaluation reports, the Faculty Steering Committee decides whether it proposes to the Chancellor of the University that the applicant should be granted the title of docent.
- Scientific, especially peer-reviewed publications from the point of view of the field of applied docentship. In quantity, the applicant's publications should be equivalent in scope to two doctoral dissertations; both monographs and research articles can be included.
- Moreover, her/his research conducted after the doctoral dissertation should contribute to new scholarly knowledge and demonstrate development as an independent researcher ("new openings" after the dissertation).
- The teaching skills committee evaluates the applicant’s teaching skills using the faculty’s common criteria.
- A free-form application letter addressed to the Faculty of Law. In the letter, including his/her contact information, the applicant should specify the field of the applied docentship ("I apply a title of docent in xxx").
- An English-language academic portfolio or CV, containing also information on the applicant’s teaching experience (see instructions and criteria)
- List of publications. Please, use the categories defined by the Ministry of Education
- Publications submitted for assessment. Publications should be submitted via recruitment system and each document should have letters DOS in the beginning of its name and be numbered as in the list of publications. Should the publication not be available in electronical form, two hard copies of the publication must be delivered to the Faculty (more information from HR Specialist Eeva Harju, eeva.harju(at)helsinki.fi).
- A non-Finnish Citizen should include a copy of the passport certified by two people. Copies of relevant diplomas and certificates enclosed should have an English-language translation if the original diploma/certificate is granted in another language than Finnish, Swedish or English. Diplomas and Certificates shall be enclosed to academic portfolio as instructed.
Applications for the title of docent are submitted to the recruitment system via the link “Apply the title”. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to leave their application via the SAP HR portal.
After logging in, find the correct announcement with the reference code HY12032 (internal applicants via SAP HR portal) or HY12034 (external applicants). Applications left without a reference code will not be connected to the correct process. Applications can be submitted during the application period only.