Faculty of Law is Finland's oldest and largest law faculty. The roots of the Faculty go all the way back to 1640 and the establishment of the Royal Academy of Turku. After the institution relocated to Helsinki in 1828, legal education was expanded and intensified. A degree completed at the Faculty of Law became a requirement for the country’s most important legal and administrative positions.
Today, the Faculty is located at the University’s City Centre Campus in the Porthania building, designed by Aarne Ervi and completed in 1957.
The Faculty carries out research and teaching in all fields of law in Finnish, Swedish and English. The Faculty also has a unit in Vaasa. The Faculty has a staff of approximately 120 researchers and teachers.
A Master of Laws degree completed at the Faculty qualifies graduates for all types of legal work. The Faculty has just over 2,100 students and annually admits some 250 new students, or 5–10 % of those who apply. Swedish-speaking students have a separate admission quota. Degree programmes.
The Faculty offers an international environment for study and research, and has active student and researcher exchange programmes. The Faculty of Law engages in multidisciplinary research cooperation with numerous other units, organisations and disciplines.