Visits and Excursions

Please register for the visits here:
All tours and visits are free of charge for conference-goers (lunch + possible transport at one's own cost).
Wednesday June 7

A pre-conference tour of the National Library and an introduction to its unique collections, including the legal deposit copy collection of the Russian Empire 1828–1917. Lead by the library staff. Starts at 14:00, ends in time to make it to the conference opening in the neighbouring building.

Saturday June 10

AM tours (11–13 + lunch 13–14).

Meeting point at 11:00: Staircase of the university of Helsinki Mainbuilding on the Senate Square (address: Unioninkatu 34)

Option 1: Empire Helsinki – historic centre walking tour by Laura Kolbe

Option 2: Mirabilia Urbis Helsingiae – Helsinki centre by Tuomas Toivonen and Markus Lähteenmäki


PM tours (14–18)

Meeting point at 14:00 : Staircase of the university of Helsinki Mainbuilding on the Senate Square (address: Unioninkatu 34)

Option 1: Alvar Aalto's Helsinki, tour by Laura Berger (Aalto University) and Kristo Vesikansa (Finnish Architectural Review)

Option 2: Tapiola Garden suburb tour by Kirsi Saarikangas (University of Helsinki)

Sunday Jun 11

Option 1: 10–13: Suomenlinna Sea Fortress, tour lead by Minna Hanhivaara, the archivist of the fortress managing body.

Meet at the ferry departing from the Market Square at 10:10.

More info on the ferry:


Option 2: 10–19: Tallinn tour by Andres Kurg. (ferry 2 hours, costs ca. 40 e return).

Ferry: Tallink, Helsinki – Tallinn 10:30–12:30. (return up to your preference)


Andres Kurg will meet yo at the terminal and lead the tour:

Late Soviet Architecture in Tallinn centre

This walking tour will look at three examples of late-Soviet architetcure in dialogue with the historic centre of Tallinn. We will start with the Linnahall Concert Hall (architects Raine Karp, Riina Altmäe, built 1975–1980), that was built for the 1980 Moscow Olympic Yachting Regatta in Tallinn. Although monumental in scale, the building was kept low to allow for the views that open from Tallinn bay to the Old Town. The roof of Linnahall functioned as a public space, enabling access to the seafront, which had been a closed area in central Tallinn for most of the Soviet period. We will then have a look at the reconstruction (architect Kalle Rõõmus, built 1979–1986) of the seventeenth century Small Coastal Gate Bastion that was demolished in 1867. Built for the Tallinn Old Town Housing Authority, the complex contains administrative rooms, as well as workshops and a sports centre. We will end the tour in the heart of the Old Town and look at the former Flower store (1984) by Vilen Künnapu on Väike-Karja street. The narrow structure includes a free-standing concrete facade, decorated with historicist arches and rectangels, standing one metre away from the main body of the store. The building was commissioned in late 1970s by a kolkhoz near Tallinn, that had recently enlarged its flower greenhouses and introduced souvenir production, which added considerably to its profits. 


Duration: 2,5 hours