The Aleksanteri Institute at the University of Helsinki coordinates a network of 12 Finnish universities which offer a multidisciplinary study programme known as ExpREES (Expertise in Russian and Eastern European Studies). This program is suitable for students from various disciplines including humanities, social sciences, business and technology. The ExpREES compulsory courses are offered in Finnish. However, courses offered English can be used to compensate for the compulsory courses. Approximately half of the ExpREES optional courses are offered in English.
ExpREES studies offers numerous advantages for students pursuing diverse careers in academia, public administration, or business. Contact teaching, online courses, summer schools and excursions help students discover their strengths, develop their careers, and completing their Master’s thesis. Despite changes in world politics, including Finnish-Russian relations, due to Russia’s war against Ukraine, the need for expertise in Russia has not disappeared. There is also a growing need for expertise regarding Eastern Europe (in particular, Ukraine) and Central Asia.
Please submit your application via the online form by 18 April. For further information, please contact (weekdays at 9–16) Sirke Mäkinen, University Lecturer and Head of the ExpREES or Hanna Peltonen, ExpREES Coordinator.
- You plan to enroll as a Master's degree student in one of the universities in the ExpREES network
- You have completed or will complete your Bachelor's degree by the end of the year
- You plan to write your Master’s thesis on a topic related to Eastern Europe, Russia, Central Asia or the South Caucasus.
- You have a strong motivation to pursue studies in the ExpREES programme.
- You have achieved good grades in your Bachelor's degree.