Department of Philosophy, P.O.Box 24 (Unioninkatu 40 A), 00014 University of Helsinki,
Telephone: + 358 - 294129220
Fax : + 358 - 9 - 191 28060
E-mail : myfirstname"dot"mylastname"at"helsinki"dot"fi
Office hour: Thursday 13-14
Since 1.8.2015 I am professor of Theoretical Philosophy
Philosophy Unit of the
Department of Philosophy, History, Culture and Art Studies of the
Previously I have been a Researcher/Senior Researcher since 1996 and Dosentti (Adjunct Professor) since 1998 in the same department, and research fellow at the
Helsinki Collegium for Advanced Studies from 2014 to 2015.
My research interests range from mathematical logic and constructivism to
proof theory and its applications to philosophical logic and formal epistemology.
I obtained a Ph.D. in mathematical logic at the University of Padova in 1996. I visited various
universities (Amsterdam, Chalmers, StAndrews, Toulouse), have been a
research associate at the Imperial College in London, a Humboldt Fellow in Munich, and
a visiting scientist at the Mittag-Leffler Institute in Stockholm.
Besides teaching at the University of Helsinki, I have held a number of specialized courses in Summer Schools and invited lecture series.
I have consolidated experience of reaserch group leadership and have supervised four doctoral dissertations.
I participate in the
PhD program in Philosophy of the Scuola Normale Superiore.
publications include about 50 refereed international articles and two books co-authored
with Jan von Plato,
Structural Proof Theory (Cambridge University Press, 2001, paperback 2008) and
Proof Analysis: A Contribution to Hilbert's Last Problem (Cambridge University Press, 2011, paperback 2014).
During 2013-2014 I have obtained the National Scientific Qualification to associate and full professorship in Italian Universities for the academic fields
of ''Logica, Storia e Filosofia della Scienza (11/C2)''
''Logica Matematica e Matematiche Complementari (01/A1)'',
and to associate professorship in
I have three children, born in 1999, 2002, and 2005.
More information about my research can be found in my CV (pdf).
- Logica 2016, Hejnice monastery, Czech Republic, 20-24 June 2016.
Call for Papers.
- Modalities, Conditionals, and Values: A Symposium on Philosophical Logic
in Celebration of the Centenary of
Georg Henrik von Wright, University of Helsinki, May 23-25, 2016.
Call for Papers.
- Estonian-Finnish Logic Meeting, Rakvere, November 13-15, 2015.
- Workshop Trends in Proof
Theory, University of Hamburg, Department of
Mathematics, September 20-21, 2015;
Well-quasi orders: From theory to applications
Hamburg, DMV-Jahrestagung 2015, September 24-25.
Tableaux 2015, Automated Reasoning with Analytic Tableaux and Related Methods
University of Wroclaw, Poland, September 20-24, 2015.
- 15th Congress on Logic, Methodology, and Philosophy of Science, University of Helsinki, August 3-8, 2015.
- CLMPS affiliated meeting: Proof theory of modal and non-classical logics, University of Helsinki, August 7, 2015.
- Utrecht Workshop on Proof Theory, Utrecht University, April 16-18, 2015.
- Modeling hypothetical reasoning: validity, inference, and paradoxes, University of Paris I, February 19-20, 2015.
- Scandinavian Logic Symposium 2014, University of Tampere, Finland, August 25-27, 2014.
- Scuola Estiva di Logica, Gargnano, Italy, August 24-30, 2014.
- Advances in Modal Logic 2014,
University of Groningen, The Netherlands, August 5-8, 2014.
- Proof, Truth, Computation. Modern Foundations of Mathematics and Contemporary Philosophy, Chiemsee, Germany, July 21-25, 2014.
- Proof, Structure and Computation, Vienna,
July 17-18, 2014.
- SILFS 2014 Triennial International Conference of the Italian Society for Logic and Philosophy of Sciences, Rome, June 18-20.
- Modality and Modalities M&M2014, Lund University, May 22-24, 2014.
- Algebra and Coalgebra meet Proof Theory, Queen Mary, University of London, May 15-16, 2014.
- XXV incontro dell'Associazione Italiana di Logica e sue Applicazioni, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, April
Workshop on Formalization in Philosophy, University of Copenhagen, December 12-13, 2013.
Workshop 'Proof Theory and Philosophy', University of Groningen, December 3-5, 2013.
- LIX Colloquium on The Theory and Application of Formal Proofs, Paris, France, November 5-7, 2013.
- Tableaux 2013, Nancy, France, September 16-19, 2013.
- Modality and Modalities, Roskilde, Denmark, May 23-24, 2013.
- Workshop on Intensionality in Mathematics, Lund, Sweden, May 11-12, 2013.
- 4th World Congress and School on Universal Logic, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, March 29-April 7, 2013.
- Logic: Between Semantics and Proof Theory, Tel-Aviv, Israel, 1-2 November 2012.
- 8th Scandinavian Logic Symposium , Roskilde University, Denmark, 20-21 August 2012.
- Logic in Computer Science (LICS 2012) \
a>, Dubrovnik, Croatia, 25-28 June 2012.
- Pisa Summer Workshop on Proof Theory , Pisa, Italy, 12-15 June 2012.
- Workshop on Proof Theory and Constructivism , Helsinki, Dept. of Philosophy, 23 March 2012.
- JAIST Spring School 2012 , Kanazawa, Japan, 5-9 March 2012.
Activity and publications:
University of Helsinki guidelines to avoid cheating and recognise plagiarism