Taught Courses at the University of Helsinki
Ongoing courses (academic year 2023/24)
- Computational Statistics (MAST32001). Period I, Autumn term. Taught yearly from Autumn 2021. Course description.
- Computational Statistics, self-study version (MAST32001). Period III-IV, Spring term, online teaching. Taught yearly from Spring 2022. Course description.
- Probabilistic Cognitive Modelling (DATA20047). Period III, Spring term. Taught yearly from Spring 2023. Course description.
Guide to Writing Master's Theses
I wrote a guide to writing Master's theses, mostly targeted at (my) students of the Master's programme in Data Science of the University of Helsinki—but possibly of broader interest.
International Tutorials and Workshops
We have been regularly giving classes, tutorials, and workshops at summer schools and for research groups at various institutions worldwide, for a duration that ranges from 20 minutes to 4+ hours. Typical topics include optimization (and our BADS toolbox), Bayesian model fitting (and our VBMC toolbox), and model comparison.
As representative examples:
- The module on computational modeling and statistical model fitting taught at the University of Geneva in Spring 2020, as part of the graduate course Trends in Computational Neuroscience. Slides and Python notebook (link).
- Lectures on optimization and Bayesian inference for statistical model fitting given in 2022 at the Barcelona summer school for Advanced Modeling of Behavior (BAMB! 2022). Slides and MATLAB code (link).
We also like to play around with visualizations for demonstration purposes. This is a demo we built of several optimizers at work (link).