The usual duration is two hours, split as follows: long talk (45 minutes), 30 minutes of socializing with snacks and drinks, short talk (30 minutes).
In order to get updates about upcoming seminars, subscribe to our mailing list, by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the message body "subscribe bioinfo-afternoon".
May 2020 - Meilahti
Time and place: Monday 11th of May, 15.15-17.00, via Zoom
- Kimmo Kaski (Aalto University): "Deep Learning Fundus Image Analysis for Diabetic Retinopathy and Macular Edema Grading"
- Dmitrii Bychkov (University of Helsinki): "Deep Learning Identifies Morphological Features in Breast Cancer Predictive of Cancer ERBB2 Status and Trastuzumab Treatment Efficacy"
April 2020 - Kumpula
Time and place: Monday 20th of April, 14.15-16, via Zoom
- Erik Garrison (University of California): "Graphical pangenomics in the time of COVID19"
- Paul Medvedev (Pennsylvania State University): "Representation of k-mer sets using spectrum-preserving string sets"
March 2020 - Viikki
Time and place: Monday 23rd of March, 13.15-14.00, via Zoom Join URL: https://helsinki.zoom.us/j/917518924
- Leo Lahti (University of Turku): "Dynamical models of human microbiome variation"
February 17, 2020 - Meilahti
Time and place: 15.15-17.00, Biomedicum 1, Seminar room 1-2
- Leena Salmela (Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki): Optical mapping data: from raw data to genome assembly (15.15-16.00)
- Kimmo Palin (Faculty of Medicine, University of Helsinki): Human genome analysis with long reads from nanopore sequencing (16.30-17.00)
January 20, 2020 - Kumpula
Time and place: 14.15 - 16.00, Exactum D122
- Brendan Mumey (Gianforte School of Computing, Montana State University): Inexact Flows for RNA Transcript Assembly and Finding Pangenomic Haplotype Blocks (14.15 - 15.00)
- Jarno Alanko (Department of Computer Science, UH): Themisto: Practical pseudoalignment for metapangenomics in small space (15.30 - 16.00)
December 16, 2019 - Viikki
Time and place: Monday 16th of December, 14-16, Biocenter 2, 2nd floor room 2012, Viikki.
- Ari Löytynoja (Institute of Biotechnology, UH): Too large to detect? Analyses of template switch mutations using short-read data (14.15 - 15.00)
- Tommi Mäklin (Department of Computer Science, UH): Bacterial lineage identification from plate sweep sequencing data (15.30 - 16.00)
ADDITIONAL SHORT MEETING: December 2, 2019 - Kumpula
Time and place: 14.15 - 14.45, Exactum C222. This is a 30-minute presentation with a strong Computer Science focus.
- Edin Husić (London School of Economics): Reconstructing perfect phylogenies via branchings in DAGs (14.15 - 14.45)
November 18, 2019 - Meilahti
Time and place: 15.15 - 17.00, Biomedicum 1, Seminar room 3
- Chris Illingworth (Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge): The bioinformatics of short-read viral sequence data
- Jing Tang (Faculty of Medicine, UH): Making sense of functional precision medicine with mathematical and statistical models
October 21, 2019 - Kumpula
Time and place: 14.15 - 16.00, Exactum, B222
- Kristoffer Sahlin (Department of Computer Science, UH): Computational methods for analysis of genome and transcriptome sequencing data (14.15 - 15.00)
- Esa Pitkänen (Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland): Modeling somatic mutagenesis in cancer with deep neural networks (15.30 - 16.00)
June 2020 - Viikki
Time and place: TBD
If you are interested in giving a talk, please contact the local organizers in one of the campuses: