The doctoral programme in Materials Research and Nanosciences (MATRENA) offers a high-level PhD student education at the University of Helsinki one of the leading research universities in the world. It is a joint programme of the Department of Physics, Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy and Helsinki Institute of Physics.
Within these institutions (all of which also have other doctoral programmes), it represents the PhD student education in materials physics, materials chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, nanosciences, molecular spectroscopy, biophysics, medical physics, computational physics and computational chemistry.
Within these fields, MATRENA is formed by several world-class research groups with major activities and project funding in these fields.
- A community of 90 doctoral students from Finland and around the world
- Disciplines represented: materials physics, materials chemistry, pharmaceutical chemistry, nanosciences, molecular spectroscopy, biophysics, medical physics, computational physics and computational chemistry
- Tens of expert supervisors with a substantial academic record
- Admissions: five times a year
- University-funded doctoral candidate positions: call for applications once a year
- Can I complete my degree in English? Yes, you can!
Want to know how others did it before you? Browse our recent doctoral theses at the university’s open digital archive.