The Doctoral Programme in Atmospheric Sciences educates the next generation of top-level atmospheric scientists and experts with all the necessary multidisciplinary skills to tackle the future challenges of climate change, air quality matters and environmental technologies. The supra disciplinary education will enable those experts to serve at different challenging positions in society and industry. Beside classical curriculum skills and knowledge, the education on the state-of-the-art measurement technologies (laboratory, ground-based and remote sensing), data-analysis and modelling (from box models to Earth system models) are emphasized.
- A community of 140 doctoral students from Finland and around the world
- Disciplines represented: atmospheric and physical sciences, chemistry, forest sciences, environmental sciences and geosciences.
- More than 100 expert supervisors with a substantial academic record
- Admissions: five a year – 20 new doctoral students admitted each year
- University-funded doctoral candidate positions: call for applications once a year
- Can I complete my degree in English? Yes, you can!
- Want to know how others did it before you? Browse our recent doctoral theses at the university’s open digital archive.
Did you know? In international comparisons, research in the atmospheric sciences at the University of Helsinki ranks among the leading European universities and close to the top 50 in the world. In 2019, our atmospheric sciences placed 11 in the Shanghai Rankings.