The Doctoral Programme in Philosophy, Arts and Society brings together branches of philosophy and a wide array of research of the arts. While the programme continues to foster research on traditional topics of its respective fields, it also actively encourages interdisciplinary approaches.
- A community of 200 doctoral students from Finland and around the world
- Disciplines represented: philosophy, aesthetics, art history, literature studies, theater research, musicology, and film and television studies
- More than 70 expert supervisors with a substantial academic record
- Admissions: twice a year – 18 new doctoral students admitted each year
- University-funded doctoral candidate positions: call for applications once a year
- Can I complete my degree in English? Yes, you can!
- Want to know how others did it before you? Browse our recent doctoral theses at the university’s open digital archive.
Did you know? In international comparisons, research in the humanities at the University of Helsinki ranks among the leading European universities and close to the top 50 in the world. In 2020, our philosophers placed 28 in the QS World University Rankings.