N.B. These instructions are under construction! Please check this site for up-to-date instructions in the beginning of July!
Planning to apply for a doctoral study right at our programme? Good choice! To start with, you should read the University’s general instructions for doctoral applicants. Once you’re acquainted with those, come back here to read more about the programme-specific selection criteria and instructions for applicants.
WHO CAN APPLY
The doctoral degrees available within the Doctoral Programme in Philosophy, Arts and Society are Doctor of Philosophy and Doctor of Social Sciences. Most students complete a PhD degree, but those with a topic related to Social and Moral Philosophy and a background in social sciences can opt for the DSocSc degree.
In addition to fulfilling the general rules of eligibility, your previous degree must be relevant to the planned research topic and discipline. A degree is regarded as relevant if it includes sufficient studies in a discipline which, given the topic of the proposed doctoral dissertation, can be regarded as a suitable basis for doctoral studies.
To be able to apply, you need to have all the studies required for the degree you apply with completed, graded and registered by the end of the relevant application period.
HOW AND WHEN TO APPLY
The Doctoral Programme in Philosophy, Arts and Society has two application periods for doctoral study rights each year – one in the spring and one in the fall.
The next round of applications will be held from September 1st to September 14th, 2017.
The applications, along with the required additional documents, must be submitted by the end of the application period. Applications are submitted via an electronic application form, which closes at 11.59 PM (Helsinki time) on the last day of the round of applications.
All applicants wishing to be considered must submit the following documents:
1. Electronic Application (form open during the application period) and as a part of the electronic application form points 2-5.
2. A research proposal. Please use the University of Helsinki research plan template to draw up your research plan.
3. A study plan. Please acquaint yourself with the doctoral programme’s curriculum before drawing up your study plan.
4. The title and summary of your Master´s thesis or equivalent, or a description of previous academic publications (maximum length 4000 characters, including spaces).
5. Names of the supervisors, who have agreed to supervise your thesis. For further information on the requirements placed on supervision, please see the selection criteria section on this page. Applying without the agreement of at least one supervisor (employed by the Faculty awarding your target degree) is not possible.
In addition to completing points 1-5, all applicants should also send us the following documents by post:
6. A copy of your previous degree certificate (Master's degree or equivalent) and a copy of a detailed transcript of studies included in the degree. Copies of these documents must be officially certified. For more information on the means of having the documents certified, please see here.
7. Verification of language skills. The University of Helsinki demands an indication of academic level language skills of all applicants. For information on the options of verifying your language skills in either Finnish, Swedish or English, please see here.
Additionally, you will need to have sufficient skills in any other languages needed for your research topic. Your skills in these languages will be assessed based on the application documents (e.g. transcript of studies) as well as preliminary discussions with your potential supervisors.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
All applications must be submitted using the electronic application form. The required additional documents must be sent by post and must arrive by the end of the application period.
Applications and additional documents sent by email are not accepted. Incomplete applications are not considered.
The required additional documents should be sent to:
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki