Instructions for course participants
Field courses are an integral part of studies in biology and the environmental sciences. Basic and intermediate courses in terrestrial and freshwater ecology are organised at Lammi Biological Station. Every year, some 20 courses in the biological, geological and environmental sciences of the University of Helsinki are given at the station.
Arriving and lodging at the station
If your course starts immediately after breakfast (served from 8.00 to 9.00), you can arrive at the station in the preceding evening. Accommodation is in double rooms in the student hall of residence. Accommodation instructions are posted on the noticeboard in the A wing of the student hall of residence. The code for the front door is available from the course coordinator.
The residence hall has showers in every corridor and a sink in every room. In addition to these rooms, the student hall of residence has a lounge with kitchens for preparing evening snacks. The use of sleeping bags is prohibited.
- Course participants must wash the dishes they use.
- A washing machine is also available in the student hall of residence on the ground floor of the B wing.
- A wireless internet connection is available in the residence halls and the main building.
- The lakeside sauna is on twice a week, usually on Mondays and Thursdays, and its use is included in the bed-and-board fee.
You can check the up-to-date prices in the price list.
- In addition to accommodation, bed and board includes three meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner).
- A separate fee for afternoon coffee is paid in conjunction with the bed-and-board fee.
- In basic courses, the bed-and-board fee covers the night between Sunday and Monday.
- Fees must be paid at the station office a couple of days before the end of the course with cash, or a debit or credit card: Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard.
- Coursework does not usually take place on weekends (Sat–Sun). Staying at the station for weekends is permitted, but no meals are served at that time.