Biomedicum Imaging Unit (BIU) is a core facility that provides services for your biomedical optical imaging needs ranging from designing the experiment to analysis of the results. BIU is a part of Medicum at the Faculty of Medicine and is located in the Biomedicum Helsinki 1 building at the Meilahti campus. Together with LMU and FIMM-HCA, BIU forms the HELMI platform of Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE).
Our services are available for all local, national, and international customers – both from academia and companies. In 2017, BIU provided services to 239 researchers from 92 research groups, corresponding to over 13,300 instrument hours.
Currently available imaging systems and services include:
- Advanced widefield fluorescence microscopy
- Multichannel total internal reflection microscopy
- Superresolution microscopy
- Laser scanning confocal microscopy
- Multiphoton microscopy
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy
- High content microscopy
- Preclinical fluorescence and bioluminescence imaging
In addition, we have a wide selection of tools for image deconvolution, volume rendering, and other post-processing and analysis needs.