Biomedicum Imaging Unit (BIU) is a core facility that provides services for your biomedical optical imaging needs ranging from designing the experiment to analysis of the results. BIU is operating under the Medicum unit at the Faculty of Medicine and is located in the Biomedicum Helsinki 1 building at the Meilahti campus. Together with LMU and FIMM-HCA, BIU forms the HELMI light microscopy platform of Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE). BIU is also part of the Helsinki in vivo animal imaging (HAIP) platform.
Our services are available for all local, national, and international customers – both from academia and companies. In 2018, BIU provided services to 277 researchers from 95 research groups, corresponding to over 17600 instrument hours.
Currently available imaging systems and services include:
- Advanced widefield fluorescence microscopy
- Multichannel total internal reflection microscopy
- Superresolution microscopy
- Laser scanning confocal microscopy
- Multiphoton microscopy
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy
- High content microscopy
- Preclinical fluorescence and bioluminescence imaging
In addition, we have a wide selection of tools for image deconvolution, volume rendering, and other post-processing and analysis needs.