Biomedicum Imaging Unit
Biomedicum Imaging Unit (BIU) is a core facility that provides expertise and state-of-the-art equipment for modern multidimensional biomedical optical imaging applications. BIU is a part of Medicum at the Faculty of Medicine and is located at the Meilahti campus. Together with LMU and FIMM-HCA, BIU forms the HELMI platform of Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE).
Currently available imaging systems and services include:
- Advanced widefield fluorescence microscopy
- Multichannel total internal reflection microscopy
- Superresolution microscopy
- Laser scanning confocal microscopy
- Multiphoton microscopy
- Coherent anti-Stokes Raman scattering microscopy
- High content microscopy
- Optical projection tomography
- Preclinical fluorescence and bioluminescence imaging
In addition, we have a wide selection of tools for image deconvolution, volume rendering, and other post-processing and analysis needs.
The services are available for all local, national, international and commercial customers. In 2017, BIU provided services to 239 researchers from 92 research groups, corresponding to over 13,300 instrument hours.