Why apply for Urbaria Membership?
As an Urbaria member you will:
- gain a double affiliation (e.g. Institute of Urban and Regional Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences)
- get access to Urban Academy network, activities and projects (joint with Aalto University and the cities of Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa)
- establish new contacts both nationally and internationally
- be part of the planning and organizing joint activities, seminars and events
- get support, training and materials for communications and media relations
- receive Urbaria newsletters and information about upcoming activities
- have the possibility to teach in the Master’s Programme of Urban Studies and Planning
- gain access to possible Urbaria research funding (Urbaria is taking part of joint Urban Finland initiative by the University of Helsinki and Aalto University to form a shared multi-disciplinary ecosystem in urban research, education and innovations).
How to apply?
Urbaria membership is open for all researchers with a doctoral degree and doctoral students affiliated to the University of Helsinki. The research of Urbaria focuses on urban and regional studies. Urbaria Community members have plans for future research directions towards urban and regional studies as well as shown evidence of past and ongoing research (published in peer-review articles).
All Urbaria members are invited to participate and contribute to the community according to their own interests. Members are directed to choose from the following opportunities:
- Organizing seminars and events
- Creating content to Urbaria blog
- Teaching and/or supervising master’s thesis in the Master’s Programme in Urban Studies and Planning
- Receiving news and participating in events
The application form can be found online.
The Urbaria Membership applications will be evaluated four to six times a year by the Urbaria board with representatives from the Faculties of Science, Social Science, Arts and Humanities, and Biological and Environmental Sciences. The application form will be continuously open.
HELSUS Professors and Members
All HELSUS Professors and Members are warmly welcome to join Urbaria. If you have already applied and received the HELSUS KATI membership, you will automatically receive Urbaria membership. Other HELSUS members and professors are supposed to apply for Urbaria membership separately.
If you are not part of the Urbaria email list yet, please join email@example.com. General instructions can be found here or ask Iiris Koivulehto to add you on the list.
For more information please contact Urbaria Director Mari Vaattovaara or Urbaria Coordinator Iiris Koivulehto. Contact information can be found here.