Research at the Faculty of Medicine is primarily conducted in research groups, the leaders of which coordinate external funding, which gives them significant rights and responsibilities. Principal investigators at the Faculty of Medicine are appointed by heads of department at the proposal of the Research Council. The Research Faculty is composed of more than 460 principal investigators or group leaders.
New principal investigators are appointed according to the following criteria outlined in Rector’s Decision No 103/2009:
- Doctoral degree
- External funding acquired personally
- Supervision of one or more doctoral students
- Operating in Faculty facilities or facilities owned by related organisations
- Affiliation with the Faculty
- Commitment to the research ethical principles of the University of Helsinki
According to the Rector’s Decision, the principal investigator can be a person closely linked with the research activities of a faculty or independent institute, but need not be employed by the University of Helsinki. In relevant fields of research, the principal investigator can also be an independent researcher without a research group. Recognising research groups and their leaders as core research units at the Faculty is in accordance with international practices and significantly improves awareness of ongoing research activities and trends.
The Research Faculty provides a forum for principal investigators to better promote the distribution of research resources (infrastructures, positions and facilities) at the Faculty. As per the Rector's Decision, the work duties of a principal investigator employed at the University with external funding can include teaching related to the research work for five per cent of the annual workload without separate compensation. The language of operation of the Research Faculty is English.
Applying for a principal investigator position
Applications for a principal investigator position are submitted through the Tuhat research database:
- Go to http://tuhat.halvi.helsinki.fi/.
- Select “Personal” from the menu.
- Click “Edit profile” under the image.
- Select “Principal investigator” from the sidebar.
- Check the box “I would like to submit a Principal Investigator Application”.
- Select “Faculty of Medicine”.
- Type or paste the application text.
- Click “Save” at the bottom of the page, which submits the application to the Faculty.
Applications for principal investigator positions are assessed by the dean of research or, at his or her request, the Research Council.
Secretary of the Research Council, senior advisor in research administration Riikka Palonkorpi firstname.lastname@example.org.