Paper proposals for the 28th International Congress of Onomastic Sciences are now invited. The deadline for proposal submissions is 31 October 2023.
The theme of the congress is Sustainability of names, naming and onomastics (see full description here). We organizers encourage scholars to link their papers to the congress theme. Examples of possible approaches are (but not limited to):
- People’s relation to their environment (both physical and digital) from the standpoint of toponyms and other place-related names
- Names and minorities, the power relationships conveyed by names
- Urban toponymy in smart and sustainable cities
- Commercial names as a part of sustainable economy
- Identity and naming, the rights to express identities via names
- Changing names (place names, personal names, commercial names etc.)
- Names in the digital world
- Names and law-making
- Names, traffic and tourism
- Onomastics as a sustainable science
When preparing your paper abstract, please follow these instructions:
- The abstract can be written in English, French or German
- The paper title should clearly define the topic and must be no longer than 15 words
- The body text (including possible references) must be no longer than 300 words
- The abstract should logically contain the following issues: objectives, research question(s), and materials and methods
- Add 1–5 keywords that describe your research
- Possible literature references should use the same referencing style as in Onoma journal (see section 4 in Onoma Style Sheet)
Paper proposals must be submitted by using the online submission system here: https://confedent.eventsair.com/icos2024/abstractsubmission
When submitting your proposal, you also choose:
- presentation type: whether you want to present your paper as an oral presentation or as a poster
- theme: whether you offer your paper to general paper session or to one of the thematic workshops
You can find detailed instructions for using the online submission system at the congress website. If you have any problems with the online system, you can contact to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The online system opens on 22 June 2023. The proposals must be submitted by 31 October 2023.
The paper proposals will be evaluated by the members of the scientific committee. The proposals will be accepted or rejected based on their scientific quality, originality and impact.
Papers offered to thematic workshops are evaluated by workshop convenors. If a paper cannot be accepted to a workshop but it fulfills the overall scientific criteria of the congress, it can be included in general paper sessions.
Evaluation results will be sent to the abstract submitters by 31 January 2024.
More information about the congress
Promotion video: https://youtu.be/PvIY7UoEFaw
Contact email: email@example.com