The teachers nominated for membership in the Teachers’ Academy all give the impression of being dedicated to their profession and to the systematic development of teaching. Their activities reflect vision, creativity, thorough pedagogical competence and insight, and the willingness to focus on the student. These teachers can present solid evidence of collecting, analysing and exploiting student feedback as well as of developing assessment practices further. The nominated teachers have shared their expertise widely within the University as well as in national and international forums.
Their teaching and supervision practices are innovative and pedagogically justified, and they convey an understanding of the constructive alignment of teaching. They genuinely involve their students in the construction of teaching, learning and assessment situations and in the development of teaching. All the nominees have solid evidence of producing innovative learning materials and of making use of the new digital learning environments. A great number of the learning materials they have developed have been praised both in Finland and abroad.
All of the nominated teachers have embraced collegiality in diverse ways and are known as key developers of teaching in their own fields. They are active players on the departmental and faculty levels and almost without exception on the University level as well, not to mention in international forums. Their activities have had an undeniable effect on the collaborative development of teaching.
The 10 new fellows to be selected to the University of Helsinki Teachers’ Academy are the following:
- university lecturer Tiina Airaksinen, Department of Cultures, Faculty of Arts
- university lecturer Kaija Hiltunen, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases, Faculty of Medicine
- clinical instructor Laura Hänninen, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- postdoctoral researcher Jokke Häsä, Faculty of Science
- assistant professor Kalle Juuti, Faculty of Educational Sciences
- professor Päivi Korpisaari, Faculty of Law
- university lecturer Olli-Pekka Penttinen, Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences
- postdoctoral researcher Sampo Pihlainen, Department of Economics and Management, Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry
- university lecturer Olli Ruth, Department of Geosciences and Geography, Faculty of Science
- clinical instructor Tanja Svirskis, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine