Need help? Looking for a supervisor? From this page, you'll find the contact information for the administrative personnel in the doctoral programme, as well as information on the steering group of the programme and the supervisors in the different disciplines represented in the programme.
Valros Anna, director
Junttila Saara, student representative
Åhlberg Tuuli, student representative
Doctoral programme planning officer
Harri Mäcklin, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact person of the programme
- Administration and communication
- Planning the programme curriculum and other activities in collaboration with the board
Other important email addresses:
How to find a supervisor?
Finding supervisors willing to guide you through your thesis project is one of the most important steps when preparing your application. But it’s not always an easy feat. Here are a few tips on how to go about it:
- Start early. And when we say early, we’re talking about months rather than weeks. Finding the right match can be a time-consuming business.
- Do your research. You are more likely to get a positive response if the researchers you approach actually share your research interests. Think of approaching the prospective supervisors in a sense like you would applying for a job – sending the same generic message to various recipients is unlikely to provide the hoped-for results. Acquaint yourself with the supervisors' research profiles, and try to pick the people you approach based on actual mutual research interests.
- Pay attention to detail. At least one of your supervisors has to be in a permanent or long-term employment to the faculty awarding your prospective target degree, and at least one needs to hold the title of docent or similar scientific qualifications – i.e. be a senior researcher in your field. When you find potential supervisors, make sure in the further discussions that at least one of them fills these conditions.
- Be precise. Supervisors get a lot of email. When you approach a prospective supervisor, present your interest and motivation in a clear, succinct manner.
- Be patient and prepare for disappointments. In the process of finding a supervisor, you are likely to receive several negative responses – or, sometimes, no response at all. If you get a negative response, move on. Be also aware that, especially if your research interest is of a field that’s not widely represented here, it’s also possible that you will not find a supervisor.
More than 60 supervisors from 14 institutions are currently affiliated to CVM. CVM supervisors affiliated with University of Helsinki can be found in the Research portal of the University of Helsinki.
Please note that the list includes both students and supervisors. If you're looking for a potential supervisor, look for people having 'Supervisor in doctoral programme' title.
Supervisors not affiliated to University of Helsinki
- Jaakko Mononen
- Heli Lindeberg
- Leena Ahola
- Heikki Roininen
- Petteri Nieminen
- Pertti Rannikko
- Rauno Sairinen
- Pekka Jokinen
- Hannu Räty
- Matti Kuittinen
- Matti Tolvanen
- Jussi Silvonen
- Satu Mering
- Timo Nevalainen
- Olli Koistinen
- Juha Räikkä
- Markku Oksanen
- Elisa Aaltola
- Marketta Rinne
- Hannu Korhonen
- Satu Raussi
- Jarmo Valaja
- Ismo Strandén
- Liisa Sihvonen
- Kimmo Peltonen
- Saara Raulo
- Sinikka Pelkonen
- Annamaria Eriksson-Kallio
- Anssi Tast, Vethaus OY
- Eija Helander, Suomen Rehu Oy
- Anne-Marie de Passillé
- Jeff Rushen, PhD
- Jan Ladewig
- Björn Forkman
- Dvoralai Wulfsohn
- Peter Sandoe
- Bo Algers
- Stefan Gunnarsson
- Daniel Berckmans
- Jean-Marie Aerts
CVM email list
Doctoral training related information are e-mailed by email@example.com email list for doctoral candidates and supervisors. To subscribe, send an e-mail from your helsinki.fi account to firstname.lastname@example.org. Leave the subject-line empty and write in the message field: subscribe dpcvm-members
As a member of the dpcvm-members list, you are automatically added to the email-list of the Doctoral School in Health Sciences (email@example.com) that provides announcements of the courses in transferable skills and other useful information.