PhD theses supervised by Mikael Skurnik since 1990 both at University of Helsinki and University of Turku.
Several PhD theses are under way.
- Anna-Mari VIITANEN: Genetic Studies on the Pathogenetic Determinants of Yersinia-Triggered Reactive Arthritis, University of Turku, 1990 (Co-supervisor P. Toivanen)
- Ayman AL-HENDY: Lipopolysaccharide of Yersinia enterocolitica: Molecular genetics and role in virulence, University of Turku, 1992 (Co-supervisor P. Toivanen)
- Lijuan ZHANG: Molecular Genetics of the O-antigen of Yersinia enterocolitica Lipopolysaccharide, University of Turku, 1996 (Co-supervisor P. Toivanen)
- Jari JALAVA: Use of rDNA sequencing as a diagnostic tool in bacterial identification, University of Turku, 2000 (Co-supervisor P. Toivanen)
- Janne KATAJA: Molecular Epidemiology and Resistance Genes of Macrolide-Resistant Beta-Hemolytic Streptococci, University of Turku, 2000 (Co-supervisor P. Huovinen)
- Yasmin EL TAHIR: Structure-Function relationship of YadA, the Yersinia enterocolitica adhesin, University of Turku, 2001
- Maria PAJUNEN: Molecular analysis of Yersinia enterocolitica serotype O:3-specific bacteriophage fYeO3-12, University of Turku, 2001
- Heli NUMMELIN: The Structure of Yersinia Adhesin A Collagen-Binding Domain, University of Turku, 2004 (Co-supervisor A. Goldman)
- Saija KILJUNEN: Molecular biology, genetics and applications of yersiniophages, University of Turku, 2006
- Katarzyna Teresa DUDA: Reactivity of polyclonal antisera against R mutants of Yersinia enterocolitica O:3, University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland, 2007 (Co-supervisor J. Radziejewska-Lebrecht)
- Marta BIEDZKA-SAREK: Molecular details of serum resistance of Yersinia enterocolitica, University of Helsinki, 2008
- Jouni ISSAKAINEN: Microascacae (Ascomycota, fungi) as a medical mycological problem. Molecular relationships and occurrence in Finnish patients, University of Turku, 2009 (Co-supervisors O. Meurman, S. Huhtinen)
- Saija HALLANVUO: Food borne Yersinia – identification and molecular epidemiology of isolates from human infections, University of Helsinki, 2009 (Co-supervisor A. Siitonen)
- Elise Pinta: Biosynthesis of Yersinia enterocolitica serotype O:3 lipopolysaccharide outer core. University of Turku, 2010 (Co-supervisor Jose Antonio Bengoechea)
- Elif Boczal: Isolation of Pathogenic Yersinia enterocolitica in Turkey and Expression of Lipopolysaccharide Genes In Vivo. Ege University, Izmir, Turkey, 2015 (co-supervisor Atac Uzel).
- Katarzyna Leskinen: The roles of YbeY, RfaH, and Hfq in gene regulation and virulence of Yersinia enterocolitica O:3. University of Helsinki, 2016.
- Julia Shevchenko (Neé Moroz): The role of lipopolysaccharide WaaL ligase biological properties implementation in the Yersinia enterocolitica bacteria. Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University, Ukraine, 2016 (co-supervisor Larisa Skivka).
- Katja Koskela: Use of molecular methods in biothreat preparedness. University of Helsinki, 2017 (Co-supervisor Simo Nikkari)
- Pirjo MATERO: Identification of bacterial biothreat agents and pathogens by molecular amplification methods. University of Helsinki, 2017 (Co-supervisors Simo Nikkari and Minna Mäki)