Biomedicum Stem Cell Center - Core facility services
Biomedicum stem cell centre (BSCC) core facility is a comprehensive provider of human pluripotent stem cell services at the Meilahti campus of the University of Helsinki. iPSC-derived, disease specific cell models serve as an opportunity to study pathophysiological mechanisms and can lead to development of new treatments. We provide locally derived human pluripotent stem cell lines and generate induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) lines from somatic cells provided by the client. BSCC operates on a fee-for-service basis in providing custom iPSC derivation using the latest technologies. Price list of the services can be found below.
1. Cell distribution
Human embryonic stem cells (hESC) and human induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) derived locally are provided upon request. Follow this procedure:
- Place request. We can provide several locally derived hESC and iPSC lines derived from healthy donors. Select the hESC or hiPSC line of interest from the table.
- To start the process contact BSCC Director Timo Otonkoski, or BSCC Coordinator Ras Trokovic. Human pluripotent stem cells can be delivered live or frozen.
- Sign order form and MTA. To complete your order, we will need to complete an order form and a Material Transfer Agreement, see MTA for University of Helsinki clients or MTA for external clients.
- Confirm shipping info. Once the order and MTA forms have been received and accepted you will need to confirm your shipping information and your Courier account number, if necessary.
- Payment. Payment is due once you have received the shipment.
2. Derivation and characterization of iPSC lines
We offer one integrative (retrovirus) and two non-integrative (Sendai virus and episomal vector) technologies for reprogramming of somatic cells. The standard cell types used are skin fibroblasts and blood mononuclear cells. Special arrangements can be made for the reprogramming of other cell types. Currently the method is based on the combination of the four "Yamanaka factors" (OCT4, SOX2, KLF4 and C-MYC). We guarantee the derivation of two iPSC lines from the cells provided by the client. In the case reprogramming is not successful, there will be no charge for this attempt. To start the service you should:
- Obtain ethical approval for the generation of iPSC lines. Before iPSC induction can be initiated from the patient cells, the client needs to obtain ethical approval for the experiment from the local ethics committee. For the users from the Academic Medical Center Helsinki, see instructions: www.hus.fi/tutkijalle/eettiset-toimikunnat/ (In Finnish).
- Sign order form and service agreement form. Before we start we will need to fill and sign order form and service agreement for University of Helsinki or service agreement for external users.
- Shipment of starting cells. We do not have a possibility to culture mycoplasma positive cells. It is thus important that you test cells for mycoplasma before shipping them to us.
- Reprogramming. Before we start we will consult with you about the technology that we think is the most appropriate for reprogramming of your cells. Process guideline and basic characterisation of hiPSC.
- Payment. Payment is due once you have received the cells.
3. Continuous visualization of live cells
CELL-IQ is a fully integrated continuous live cell imaging and analysis platform. In addition to phase contrast microscopy, the system includes live fluorescence imaging with three different filters (blue, red and green). The Cell-IQ is situated in room C515b. There are two plate positions available that can be used simultaneously, a booking schedule can be found here. Contact Heli Grym (email@example.com) for the password. Basic data analysis can be performed free of charge using the Cell-IQ Analysis program on the computers in room C515b.
BSCC offers individual customized training for clients. Basic knowledge and experience in aseptic lab work is required. To inquire for the training opportunities contact BSCC Director Timo Otonkoski, or BSCC Coordinator Ras Trokovic.