Spatial Planning of Urban Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (2017-2020)
We bring spatial biodiversity planning tools into urban planning. Our aim is to develop methods that would allow urban planners and managers better incorporate biodiversity to their spatial plans. Urban biodiversity is a key element in sustainable urban planning, and cities have a great potential for biodiversity conservation.
We combine spatial conservation prioritization as well as and habitat suitability modelling tools in urban areas and land-use planning perspectives. Our research includes spatial prioritizations of (i) urban green areas based on their biodiversity and accessibility, (ii) optimal greening strategies based on urban butterfly communities, and (iii) regional prioritization of biodiversity and ecological connectivity.
- Korpilo S, Jalkanen J, Virtanen T, Lehvävirta S (2018): Where are the hotspots and coldspots of landscape values, visitor use and biodiversity in an urban forest? PLoS ONE 13(9): e0203611
- Jalkanen J, Vierikko K. (2018): Expert questionnaire results regarding urban biodiversity in Helsinki Metropolitan Area, Finland. Data publication: https://zenodo.org/record/1255899
- Venn, S., Novitsky, R., Vershinin, V. & Kreuzberg, E. (2018) Urban Ecosystems in Isabel Sousa Pinto, Victoria Elias, Markus Fischer, Piero Visconti IPBES Regional Assessment for Europe and Central Asia – SOD 3 Chapter 3: Status, trends and future dynamics of biodiversity and ecosystems underpinning nature’s contributions to people in IPBES (2018): The IPBES regional assessment report on biodiversity and ecosystem services for Europe and Central Asia. Rounsevell, M., Fischer, M., Torre-Marin Rando, A. and Mader, A. (eds.). Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, Bonn, Germany, 892 pages.
- Valkó, O., Venn, S., Loos, J., Biurrun, I., Labadessa, R. & Zmihorski, M. (2018): The challenge of abandonment for the sustainable management of Palaearctic natural and semi-natural grasslands. Hacquetia 17: 5–16
- Venn, S., Ambarli, D., Biurrun, I., Dengler, J., Kuzemko, A., Török, P. & Vrahnakis, M. (2018): The Eurasian Dry Grassland Group (EDGG) in 2016–2017 Hacquetia 17: 17-23
- Venn, S. (2017) The Ecology of Urban and Road Infrastructure (Book review) Conservation Biology DOI: 10.1111/cobi.13051
- Koivula, M., Venn, S., Hakola, P. & Niemelä, J. (submitted manuscript): Responses of boreal ground beetles (Coleoptera, Carabidae) to different logging regimes during ten years of secondary succession. Forest Ecology and Management.
- Jalkanen & Moilanen (submitted manuscript): Spatial Prioritization of Urban Biodiversity Quality
- Jalkanen, Toivonen, Moilanen (submitted manuscript): Identification of ecological networks for land-use planning using spatial conservation prioritization
- Tzoulas, K., Dennis, M., Venn, S., Himantsu, S., Galan, J., Haase, D., Pauleit, S., Pedroli, B., James, P. & Niemelä J. (manuscript) An integrative framework for nature-based solutions in cities