Helsinki Region Travel Time Matrix 2013-2018
Helsinki Region Travel Time Matrix contains travel time and distance information for routes between all 250 m x 250 m grid cell centroids (n = 13231) in the Capital Region of Helsinki by walking, cycling, public transportation and car. The grid cells are compatible with the statistical grid cells used by Statistics Finland and the YKR (yhdyskuntarakenteen seurantajärjestelmä) data set. The Helsinki Region Travel Time Matrix is available for four different years (2013, 2015, 2018 and 2023), the first three of which are presented on this page. Comparisons of the different years can be found in the end of this page. The data for the years 2013-2018 has been produced by Digital Geography Lab mainly in the MetropAccess Project (2010-2018) at the Department of Geosciences and Geography, University of Helsinki. The project has been funded by the KatuMetro -project and the University of Helsinki.
Data description publications
- Tenkanen, H. & Toivonen, T. (2020) Longitudinal spatial dataset on travel times and distances by different travel modes in Helsinki Region. Scientific Data 7, 77. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-020-0413-y
- Toivonen, T., M. Salonen, H. Tenkanen, P. Saarsalmi, T. Jaakkola & Järvi, J. (2014). Joukkoliikenteellä, autolla ja kävellen: Avoin saavutettavuusaineisto pääkaupunkiseudulla. Terra, 126(3), 127–136.
Selected publications using the data
- Järv, O, Ten.kanen, H., Salonen, M., Ahas, R. & Toivonen, T. (2018). Dynamic cities: Location-based accessibility modelling as a function of time. Applied Geography 95, 101–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2018.04.009
- Tenkanen, H., Saarsalmi, P., Järv, O., Salonen, M. & Toivonen, T. (2016). Health research needs more comprehensive accessibility measures: integrating time and transport modes from open data. International Journal of Health Geographics 15: 23, 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12942-016-0052-x
- Salonen, M. & Toivonen, T. (2013). Modelling travel time in urban networks: comparable measures for private car and public transport. Journal of Transport Geography 31, 143–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2013.06.011
Helsinki Region Travel Time Matrix by MetropAccess-project/ Accessibility Research Group (University of Helsinki) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More information about license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
If the datasets are being used extensively in scientific research, we welcome the opportunity for co-authorship of papers. Please contact project leader to discuss about the matter.