N-of-1 design: Opportunities, challenges and solutions for undertaking within-person investigations to inform policy and practice
This workshop will be an introductory training course into the use of N-of-1 methodology including statistical analysis. This methodology can be used to investigate multiple policy and practice areas, including but not limited to health and healthcare systems, behaviour and behaviour change, economics, education and other important societal foci.
Make sure to register for the workshop in WebOodi!
- To have knowledge of N-of-1 design and its basic principles
- To be able to design observational and evaluative N-of-1 studies and explain how they are applicable to research, policy and practice
- To be able to provide examples of practical applications of N-of-1 studies
- To be able to run primary N-of-1 time-series analysis
Part I: (1) introduction and overview of the N-of-1 design, including theoretical principles, practical applications and suggestions for best practice (presentation); (2) A focus on a) observational and b) evaluative N-of-1 studies, including design principles, practical aspects and examples of application (presentation and small group discussions); (3) Application of N-of-1 designs to topical issues relevant to participants work and/or research interests (small group activity).
Part II: (1) a hands-on session to learn how to undertake time-series analysis using N-of-1 training data (practical); (2) A focus on advanced N-of-1 analysis (presentation); (3) Discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of N-of-1 studies and key methodological challenges and their solutions (presentation and plenary discussion). (4) Summary of key learning points (plenary discussion)
TEACHING AND LEARNING METHODS
Presentations; plenary and small group discussions; small group activity working to design an N-of-1 study to address topical issues relevant to participants work and/or research interests; practical analysis using SPSS (or R) and a training dataset
- Kwasnicka, D., Inauen, J., Nieuwenboom, W., Nurmi, J., Schneider, A., Short, C. E., ... & Naughton, F. (2019). Challenges and solutions for N-of-1 design studies in health psychology. Health psychology review, 13(2), 163-178.
- Kwasnicka, D., & Naughton, F. (2019). N-of-1 methods: A practical guide to exploring trajectories of behaviour change and designing precision behaviour change interventions. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 101570.
- Davidson, K. W., Peacock, J., Kronish, I. M., & Edmondson, D. (2014). Personalizing Behavioral Interventions Through SinglePatient (Nof1) Trials. Social and personality psychology compass, 8(8), 408-421.
Other technical details
Please familiarise yourself with pre-workshop reading materials, and bring your laptop on the day with SPSS or R installed on it. We will share relevant articles, and datasets in advance of the meeting.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions regarding this meeting or reading materials.