Lammi Biological Station is belongs to the Faculty of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki. LBS facilitates university courses and research projects in the biological and environmental sciences and other disciplines. The station has an especially strong history in ecological, evolutionary and environmental research. Located outside the Helsinki metropolitan area LBS has an important role in representing the University in the region.
Lammi Biological Station was founded in 1953 in the premises of the old Lammi vicarage. Teaching took place first in the old buildings until 1970 when the new main building and the accommodation facilities were built. Over the years the station has grown from a summer outpost to a large year round research facility. Today, LBA accommodates about 40 research projects, 20 biology and ecology courses, and 70 seminars and meetings every year.
The Lammi region is a mosaic of fields, forests, lakes, mires and eskers and therefore offers an ideal environment for conducting research and field courses. In Evo, just 20 km north of the station, is the largest contiguously forested area in southern Finland. Patches of old growth forest, as well as the many small lakes and ponds make this area a great choice for outdoor activities, especially hiking and fishing.