Libraries have summer opening hours until August 23, 2020. Libraries will move to normal opening hours during the university's orientation week, in August 24 onwards. Check the opening hours on the library's website →
Learning Centres Aleksandria and Minerva will be closed at least until August 16, 2020.
Remember safety distance and good hand hygiene during your library visit
The safety of our customers and staff is important to us, so we ask you to only visit the library when you're healthy. Please take care of hand hygiene and keep adequate distance from other customers and staff to prevent the spread of coronavirus. All library users must follow the instructions for the corona situation displayed in the library.
Services in the library from August 10 onwards
- Borrowing and returning books using the self-service machines.
- Reserved books can be picked up in the self-service pick-up areas as usual.
- The library's customer service desks will be opened on campuses during August. The Main Library's customer service desk is open on weekdays. You can reach the library’s customer service also via phone, email and online. Check the opening hours of the service desks on the library's website →
- About half of the reading and working places as well as the customer computers are in use. Places for keeping the safety distances are marked.
- All computer rooms in the library will be out of use at least until August 16.
- The library's group study rooms are available to students to book online as library facilities open.
- In group study spaces and rooms reserved for quiet working, users must ensure that safety distances are adequately observed.
- The students' break room (kitchen) in the Kaisa House will be out of use for the time being.
Read more about library services: Exceptional situation at the library →
Helka renewed: Changes in logging in and obtaining a library card
- University of Helsinki staff and students will log in to the Helka in the Sign in menu with the university's user IDs.
- Other Helka users will log in to the new Helka in the Sign in menu with their e-mail address. Helka will send a login link to the email you have entered provided that the email exists in Helka.
- If you suspect that Helka does not have your e-mail address, or you have other problems logging in, please contact the customer service.
New student, activate your user account by logging in to Helka, and you will have access to the library's services!
First, you need to activate your customer information in Helka database by signing in with your Helsinki University user credentials. Your Helka card will be ready for pick-up in the next working day. You can pick up your card from any Helsinki University Library location during customer service hours. Please remember to bring an official ID card.