The postdoctoral fellowship in the arts aims to develop new forms of cooperation and dialogue between art and scholarship. The positions are primarily intended for persons holding a doctoral degree in the arts. However, also persons engaged in artistic work but having completed a doctoral degree in a different academic field are eligible to apply. Applicants must have completed their doctoral degree by the end of the application period. In addition to the doctoral degree, the requirements for the position include experience of artistic work or artistic research. Practitioners of all fields of art may apply for the position.
The postdoctoral researchers in the arts are appointed on the basis of a highly selective international competition. There is an annual call for applications for the position of the postdoctoral researcher in the arts at the Helsinki Collegium.
The fall 2019 fellowship call for 2020-2021 is open from August 23 to September 13, 4 pm.
2019 Application procedure:
Link to the electronic application form:
For further information on the application procedure, please contact email@example.com.
The postdoctoral fellowship in the arts programme is funded by the Kone Foundation.
Current Fellows (2019-2020):
- Matthias de Groof: "Audiovisual Work and Book Publication on the Iconography of Patrice Lumumba in the Arts"
- David Ashley Kerr: "I’ll Be Your Mirror: The Performed Gaze in Contemporary Photomedia Art"
- Tero Nauha: “Non-standard Performance: body and performance in conjunction with the posthumanist philosophy and artistic research”
- Annette Arlander: “Performing with plants”
- Esthir Lemi: “The Parenthetical Window: Performing in a full Multimodal Artificial Environment adapted to the Circadian Rhythm”
- Maija Timonen: “The Defrosted Father - Vicissitudes of Family in Economic Crisis”
- Lea Kantonen: “Performing the Multilingual Museum: Collaborative Planning and Documentation”
- Taina Riikonen: “Philosopher’s voice as Experimental Radiophony"