The key goal of HELDIG is to foster the use of data and computational methods and tools in DH research, education, and development. Providing means for creating, publishing, and using data and tools, as well as providing education and help is using them is of central importance to the success of HELDIG.
We aim at building a shared and open HELDIG Data Service Infrastructure (HDSI), a suite of data and services on the Web, based on and extending data and software already created by participating research groups and researchers in UH, Aalto University, Finland, and abroad. HDSI is shared with the larger DH community in the spirit of Open Science. A special feature of HDSI is that it is targeted to support 1) research, 2) education, and 3) developers utilizing the data services in different applications.
HDSI is indended to serve users not only with data but with ready to use Web Services on which research, education, and applications can be based on. The goal is to lower the barrier of utilizing computational tools in humanities and social sciences, which is one of the main challenges in DH.
Finnish Research Infrastucture Elements for DH
Some Finnish data services related to DH research are listed below. Please, feel free to suggest for HELDIG other online services to be listed here!
- Bank of Finnish Terminology in Arts and Sciences. Provided by UH.
- Institute for Languages in Finland. Various databases.
- TEPA Term Bank. Provided by Finnish Termonology Centre TSK.
Linguistic data and services
- Language Bank of Finland. Provided by the FIN-CLARIN consortium.
- Corpus Resource Database (CoRD). Provided by UH.
- Onki.fi. Ontology services created at Aalto and UH since 2005.
- Finto.fi. Part of Onki.fi deployden and developed further by National Library of Finland.
- Hipla.fi. Finnish Ontology Service of Historical Places and Maps, provided by Aalto.
Linked Data Services
- Linked Data Finland. SPARQL endpoints for various datasets and related services and tools for publishing Linked Data. Created by Aalto and UH.
- IDA Data Storage Service for research data. Provided by CSC Ltd.
- National Land Survey of Finland, Open Free Datasets
- Helsinki Region Infoshare Open Data. Provided by city of Helsinki and Forum Virium.
- Open Data of the National Broadcasting Company Yle
- Governmental Finnish Open Data Directory Avointieto.fi
- Semantic Finlex - Finnish Law and Justice as Linked Open Data. Provided by Ministry of Justice, Edita Publishing Ltd, and Aalto.
HELDIG (Aalto and UH) participates in the Reassembling the Republic of Letters EU COST initiate that aims at building an European Linked Data infrastructure for Early Modern epistolary data, as well as in the Cultures of Knowledge project at Oxford University.
HELDIG is negotiating about EU level collaborations regarding research infrastructures with DARIAH in the new DESIR project.