Social and Public Policy is an applied social science that explores the structure and functioning of welfare states from the perspective of social risks, such as unemployment, illness, disability, the birth of children or old age. Social and public policy delves into issues of welfare distribution and social inequality. Research in social and public policy focuses on poverty, sustainable welfare, unemployment and obstacles to employment, health differences, ageing, and social scientific disability studies.
The discipline of social and public policy investigates issues of social inequality and welfare, their distribution and related policies as well as ways to promote welfare and equality. Key research topics include social policy, urban issues, environmental policy and ageing.
For more information about social and public policy researchers as well as their research, see the Tuhat research database. You can also search for people through the phone directory or the search page for contact information.
Discipline coordinator: University Lecturer Arho Toikka
Are you looking for a researcher, staff member or unit?
- Search for experts in social and public policy
- Social and public policy researchers in the phone directory
- Research and researchers in Tuhat research database
Postal and street address for social and public policy
PO Box 18 (Unioninkatu 35)
00014 University of Helsinki
Information for media: communications staff contact details
Research in social and public policy focuses on poverty, sustainable welfare, unemployment and obstacles to employment, health differences, aging, and social scientific disability studies. The discipline also investigates the use of research-based information particularly during major changes in environmental policy.
- Anne Kouvonen: Using data linkage to investigate the mental health of migrants
- Decentralizing Finland’s energy regime: The triggers and dynamics of transition (DEFEND)
(project funded by the Academy of Finland New Energy Research Programme 2015–2018)
- Potential of continuous cover forestry for climate change mitigation, wood production and biodiversity protection (CONBIO) (project funded by the Helsinki University Centre for Environment (HENVI) 2015–2018)
More research projects involving the discipline are listed in the Tuhat research database.
- Social Policy Association in Finland/Janus
- Finnish Society for Environmental Social Science (YHYS)
- International Society for Ecological Economics
- Finnish Society for Science and Technology Studies
- Expert Panel on Sustainable Development
- Professor Anne Kouvonen on Twitter: @AKouvonen
- Administrative Data Research Network: ADRC-Northern Ireland
- Helsinki Health Study