The objectives of postgraduate education are as follows:
- The students become profoundly familiar with their research field and its social significance.
- The students acquire, within their field, the ability to apply scientific research methods critically and independently and to contribute to scientific knowledge.
- The students become familiar with the historical development, fundamental issues and research methods of their field.
- The students acquire sufficient understanding of general scientific theory and the disciplines related to their research field so as to be able to follow future developments.
A student admitted into a doctoral programme must complete postgraduate studies, demonstrate independent and critical thinking in his or her field, complete a doctoral dissertation and defend it in a public examination.
The objective is to complete a doctoral degree in four years. Postgraduate students must show initiative and make a systematic effort to complete a dissertation. A doctoral degree comprises a dissertation and other studies (40 cr). A doctoral degree provides the qualifications to work in demanding academic positions and as experts in the public sector.
Application instructions can be found at the Doctoral Programme's pages, see below:
The Faculty of Educational Sciences coordinates two doctoral programmes:
- Doctoral Programme in Psychology, Learning and Communication (PsyCo)
- Doctoral Programme of School, Education, Society and Culture (SEDUCE)
In addition to the above, postgraduate students of the Faculty of Educational Sciences can belong to the following doctoral programmes that fall under the responsibility of other faculties:
- Doctoral Programme in Theology
- Doctoral programme for History and Cultural Heritage
- Doctoral Programme for Language Studies
- Doctoral programme Gender, Culture, and Society
- Doctoral Programme in Social Sciences
- Doctoral Programme in Political, Societal and Regional Change
- Doctoral Programme in Population Health (DocPop)
- Doctoral Programme Brain & Mind (B&M)
- Doctoral Programme in Interdisciplinary Environmental Sciences (DENVI)