The biggest change from the former structure is that the cultural disciplines (archaeology, folklore, ethnology, art history and museology) and gender studies have moved to the Department of Cultures from the old Department of Philosophy, History, Culture and Art Studies. The new departments are not financially accountable units.
Faculty of Arts departments and their directors from 1 January 2018:
• Aleksanteri Institute: Markku Kangaspuro ( from 1 April 2018)
• Depatment of Digital Humanities: Martti Vainio
• Department of Philosophy, History and Art Studies: Paavo Pylkkänen
• Department of Languages: Ulla Tuomarla
• Department of Cultures: Jussi Pakkasvirta
• Department of Finnish, Finno-Ugrian and Scandinavian Studies: Hanna Lehti-Eklund