The University of Helsinki – among the best in the world
The University of Helsinki is one of the best multidisciplinary research universities in the world. In addition to its 11 faculties, the University of Helsinki includes several independent institutes, some of which are jointly operated with other universities. The University of Helsinki is an international academic community of 40,000 students and staff members. It operates on four campuses in Helsinki and at 15 other locations.
Docent Fabio Valoppi, affiliated with the Food Materials Science research group, led by Associate Professor Kirsi Mikkonen, is seeking for
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER IN FOOD STRUCTURE DESIGN
for a fixed-term 2-year contract to work in a project entitled “Engineered oleogels for body weight management (ENGEL)”. The project focuses on the development of a novel type of oleogels with tailored digestibility that will help address the current global burden of obesity.
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled postdoctoral researcher with a PhD degree in food sciences/engineering, colloidal sciences, physical chemistry, or other related fields. The postdoctoral researcher is expected to contribute to research on oleogels, emulsions, student supervision, and education on food sciences. The appointed researcher will work in collaboration with the other members of the Food Materials Science research group and will be supervised by Docent Fabio Valoppi.
A successful candidate should be able to:
• Identify, design, conduct, and report research on oleogel, emulsions, and encapsulation from physical, technological, and physiological perspectives.
• Contribute to proposal writing to apply further research funding.
• Contribute to master/doctoral student supervision, and teaching of food science.
• Engage with scientific community, research partners and the wider public at all levels, internationally and domestically through scientific publications as well as for example through social media (blogs, etc.).
The candidate is expected to have:
Education, experience and technical skills
• A doctoral degree and experience in food sciences/engineering, oleogel and emulsion characterization, and hydrocolloid functionality.
• Knowledge of physicochemical methods to characterize oleogels and emulsions, and in-vitro digestion analysis.
• In-vivo digestion analysis is an advantage.
• Fluency in English and excellent writing skills.
Personal attributes and competencies
• Excellent analytical and innovative research planning skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working within multicultural and multidisciplinary teams.
• High motivation for academic research, having initiative and capable of working independently as well as in team environments.
• Values continuous improvement based on constructive evaluation, self-reflection and learning.
The salary of the postdoctoral researcher will be based on level 5 of the demands level chart for teaching and research personnel in the salary system of Finnish universities. In addition, the appointee will be paid a salary component based on personal performance. The starting gross salary of the postdoctoral researcher will be ca. 3200–3500 euros/month, depending on the appointees’ qualifications and experience. The University of Helsinki offers comprehensive services to its employees, including occupational health care and health insurance, sports facilities, and opportunities for professional development. The International Staff Services office (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university) assists employees from abroad with their transition to work and life in Finland. A six-month trial period will be applied.
The attachment required for the application include (in a single pdf-file):
1) A cover letter explaining the applicant’s motivation for the research work and a short research plan (e.g. approach, research materials and methods) (up to 3 pages)
2) Curriculum vitae showing the applicant's education, completed qualifications, work experience, possible list of publications and contact information of 2 persons for references (up to 3 pages)
3) Copies of Doctoral, Master's, and Bachelor's degree certificates and official transcripts of the records, and their translations, if the originals are not in Finnish, Swedish or English.
Please submit your application through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal, saphr.it.helsinki.fi.
The closing date for applications is 14 February 2021 (23:59 EET).
Further information about the positions may be obtained from Docent Fabio Valoppi (fabio.valoppi(at)helsinki.fi).
14.02.2021 23:59 EET